How is the ZWave Node Number Determined?

I am using Openhab 3.1 and a Aeotec Gen5 Zwave stick. Each time you add a new device to the Zwave binding it increments the node number by 1 from the last discovered device. How is this number determined/stored? The background is that I added a number of Zwave devices that either I am no longer using or I had problems with so these node numbers are now unused. I know for functionality reasons it doesn’t really matter but I am curious how you reclaim those node numbers? Ie. when it is searching for new device, how do I let it know that the maximum node number used so far is 25 and not 40?

1. I tried deleting all of the unused XML files from /var/lib/openhab/zwave
  2. I deleted all of the unused things from the UI
  3. I deleted all references of the unused things from the files in /var/lib/openhab/jsondb
  4. I used the Zensys tool to remove all of the unused nodes from the controller

Still, when I try and add a new device it tries to use node 40 or higher. So, clearly that is being stored somewhere else. I am curious if anyone knows where that number is stored and if I can change it? Thanks

There is nothing you can do to change this. The node number is set by the controller - it will use an ascending count up to the maximum number of 232, and will then start again looking for unused node numbers from 1.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for the quick reply!