How often do you restart the server running openHAB

Hi all,

I have openHab 2.4 running on Linux with about 30 Zwave devices, Astro binding, Network binding, Samsung TV binding, Systeminfo binding, Air Quality Binding.

In my environment after some time openHab start to have some strange errors this usually happened after thirty or more days.
I have tried restarting only openHab but my Zwave devices don’t work correctly.
The only thing I can do is restart the whole server.

After about two years with openHab the maximum time before I’m forced to restart is about forty days.

What about you ?

Thanks

I usually restart the server OpenHAB runs on about once a month or so just to update the operating system software (currently running Mint) but never really forced to do so, I think you need to figure out what is going on. My first guess is you have a zwave node with a battery going flat

1 Like

I had strange issues occurring when I was running on a Raspberry Pi. Since moving to a VM on a server, I have not had to reboot due to strange issues.

I usually restart OH a couple times a week, mostly because I chase the snapshots and do testing where I can. But I have an instance of OH that I have running remotely. It tends to run for 2-3 months at a time before a restart and the restart is usually because of an update or a power failure. I’ve not noticed any strange behavior on that OH instance but it’s not running many bindings (Zwave, MQTT, NGRE).

The longest time I let openHAB run was about 6 month (was 2.4 stable). I have to see for how long I can stop myself from restarting the actual instance.

2 Likes

Normally, I am letting OH2 run for 2-3 months before I am either updating the system or OH2 (I am running it on a VM)

My OH usually runs until there is a newer version that I feel I need to test. That can be a couple of weeks or just some days.
I guess the point of your question is if we restart because we suffer from similar problems as you do.
All answers show we don’t. But all of us are power users who have put a significant amount of work into understanding OH and debugging our setups so they run stable if we let them.
Upgrade to 2.5, there’s some fixes regarding ZWave. I also have a significant amount of ZWave devices.

What I find interesting is people get so used to the need to reboot. I remember a few years ago, the enterprise Solaris OS has a memory leak gug where the server needed to be rebooted every 360 days. Many System Administrators were extremely upset because it affected their server uptime they were measuring in years between reboots.

Yes… if your openHAB server is Linux based, you basically don’t need to reboot. Maybe just restart openhab if you have some problems with it (I usually have after adding new Things and changing Item linkings and it the old link to an Item stucks), but you don’t need to restart the whole server, even after an upgrade. This is not Windows…

Mine is running now for 65 days (last it went offline when there was a power outage…)

On my Raspberry Pi with Raspbian Lite and openHABian, I needed to periodically reboot. Even ssh and console were killed. :frowning: My nginx reverse proxy kept working though.

I had that before on RPI 3B+. Basically it stucked and even SSH was not reachable for long minutes. After it appeared again and starting working normally, but as time passed it became more and more frequent. I think that was some memory issue, it couldn’t handle my setup on that 1GB RAM. I have changed to RPI4 4GB and I don’t have any problems at all since then (and nothing else changed, I just popped the SD card into the RPI 4).

Thanks for reply.

I usually restarted my server quite often because I was developing my environment, but now it is almost complete, so I need stability.

I think that this is an important point on IOT programs, because all services implemented should work smootly without to much manual operation, just like when you turn on and off a light, this should work!

I’ll keep you informed if my system start to have problem.

Bye Mirko

That’s the reason why I have another test/development environment.
Only stuff I cannot test is my Zwave devices, but they are mostly static, no changes on hw.

If messing with peperials like USB devices, as I do alot. Reboots can become necessary quite often.
After I have managed to get the symlinks working correctly, the reboots is less frequent though.
If I dont mess with my Rpi3B+ system, it can go on for months without any issues. Those issues I have had (and still have) has always been due to having made changes in some way, specially updates.

I have a second OH setup running on a Odroid C2 with Ubuntu. It has been running without issues at all, and only had two restarts (due to me doing changes) in at least the last 6 months.

This is an English only forum

At least he ended using english, and I guess it could summon his post into this:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, the situation is quite annoying: We have to restart it at least once a week and it takes some hours until the Z-Wave devices (~60) have stabilized their network to obtain usable response-times.

The reason to restart is mostly USB related (EnOcean or Z-Wave stick) and thus means real system restart, or Timers and CalDAV stop working silently.

All observed with 2.4 and 2.5. Still we have not figured, why it is that unstable.

What server and Z-Wave hardware? I had some stability issues with my Pi 3B+ but things have been stable using a Linux Hyper-V VM on a server.
In that case the actual USB is handled by the hypervisor and only the serial port is mapped to the VM.

Ever since I got rid of Socat/Ser2net and used MQTT to link my onsite two openhabs my system has become far far more reliable and I have a large zwave network.

my oh2.4 stable runs on a Qnap TS880U NAS and I rarely, if ever have issues with it. If it wasn’t for power work at the house, it would have been up for in excess of 3 months.

I use Armbian on Allwinner H5 2G memory powered Nanopi K1 with eMMC. Running Openhab native (Docker variant also works) - no stability issues whatsoever - restarts only by choice of upgrading kernel. Currently on 5.4.y.

Controlling Z-wave network cca. 25 devices, network binding, android devices controlling, 1-wire sensor attached to GPIO, UPS on USB, …