How to build my own sensors?

(Gad Ofir) #1

can anyone guide me to the best way to build my own IOT device that feet my needs
i am not excepting diagrams or sketches just what is the right path?

there is a lot of youtube guides for sure…

but i don’t think they cover from design to product/ prototype,
so if any forums you know that can help or any guide that is useful …
or just tips for anyone that failed or succeed :slight_smile:

thanks!

(Vincent Regaud) #2

Define your needs

(Gad Ofir) #3

something like esp32 that I can connect relays, switches, buttens ,sensors of all sorts , all will be connected to power and wifi at all times

mqtt is must…

(Ruric) #4

Have you already had a look at https://www.mysensors.org?

(Johann Obermeier) #5

Not just for sonoff devices

(Gad Ofir) #6

no thank you
looks very good!

(Gad Ofir) #7

yes i have it all ESPEasy , Tasmota
i want to know how to connect it good and have it working on daily base

sonoff is great for this but, its has a shortage in outputs/inputs

i will need something like 40 to have all my needs satisfied :slight_smile:
i want to build somthing like 5-6 that will cover all all needs outside the sonoffs

(Matt Shepherd) #8

I use Sonoff basics as relays to turn off lights etc with mqtt and for temperature sensors Nodemcu with DHT11. If you’re using openhabian set up mosquito via openhabian-config. Then get your head around mqtt, your pi running Openhab will subscribe to a topic and your Sonoff basic that you have flashed with the correct firmware will publish your topic. A topic could be lounge/temperature etc. It takes a while to set up or to get your head around it but you’ll get there in the end.

(Johann Obermeier) #9

Do you need all the 40 sensors on the same place?
I didnt get your intention fully. I use several Wemos D1 minis with different sensors (temperature, humidity, light (lux),wind, co2, pollution, motion, rf, ir…)
what do you need and for what? I like it that i can place everywhere sensors
wireless (only power) and get status via mqtt and i have 1 easy powerfull platform.

(Gad Ofir) #10

exactly… wemos will be great because of size…
what i am not sure about hot to do good power delivery …
how to do good housing for each one
(lux),wind, co2, pollution, motion, rf, this are things i also want to master
but right now doors windows switches buttons

(Vincent Regaud) #11

The problem with ESPs is power. Battery powered ESPs can be done with deep sleep but then you have a time delay when they wake up and reconnect to the wifi.
My Battery sensors are made with mysensors.org and report to a master arduino connected to the network and publish on MQTT. Time lag = 0. Battery life on window sensors almost 2 years. Temp and hum sensors reporting every 5 minutes 1 year.

When I can I use powered ESPs: Fridge/Freezer, radiator valves…

(B Gunnar Blockmar) #12

Yes! I strongly support MySensors!
I am using a number of sensors since a few years back. Easy to build. Low cost.
All of them report to an MQTT GW and they send their data to a cloud service. cloudmqtt.com
I actually have two GW in two different geographical locations but only one OpenHab instance.

OpenHab subscribes to the feeds and acts on the different measurements.

(Vincent Regaud) #13

Or any other MQTT broker. You can adjust that in the gateway settings.

(B Gunnar Blockmar) #14

Yes, of course!
The reason for using a cloudservice for MQTT is that I have two geographical sites reporting measurements. I do not want to expose an MQTT-broker of my own outside my firewall for the remote site to access. Instead both sites report to cloudmqtt.com and OpenHab subscribes to both streams. The mqtt-binding supports more than one subscriber name/password simultaneously.

(Vincent Regaud) #15

@BGunnarB

Can I point you to this tutorial I wrote a while ago to get MQTT working with ssl and cloudmqtt

(Gad Ofir) #16

i got to say…
i am using node red for MQTT and rules and its pretty easy
openhab stills runs for all the items but conncting stuff with node red i just fun and simple