How to capture a ZWAVE command that has been repeated. As-in, the ON button being pressed multiple times

How can I detect when a ZWAVE switch has been turned on again. This is a simple Leviton DZ15S ON/OFF switch. When the switch is already ON and the ON button is pressed again I get that status in the LOG. How can I capture and use that in a Rule. I what to detect if the ON switch is being pressed multiple times.

This is the log output when the ON button is pressed and the device is already ON:

13:23:21.048 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - lastTransaction null
13:23:21.051 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 22: Application Command Request (ALIVE:DONE)
13:23:21.054 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 22: resetResendCount initComplete=true isDead=false
13:23:21.057 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 22: Incoming command class COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY, endpoint 0
13:23:21.060 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveNode] - NODE 22: SECURITY not supported
13:23:21.062 [DEBUG] [otocol.commandclass.ZWaveCommandClass] - NODE 22: Received COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY V1 SWITCH_BINARY_REPORT
13:23:21.065 [DEBUG] [ndclass.ZWaveBinarySwitchCommandClass] - NODE 22: Switch Binary report, value = 255
13:23:21.068 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 22: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveCommandClassValueEvent
13:23:21.072 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 22: Got a value event from Z-Wave network, endpoint=0, command class=COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_BINARY, value=255
13:23:21.075 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 22: Updating channel state zwave:device:3030737e:node22:switch_binary to ON [OnOffType]
13:23:21.080 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 22: Commands processed 1.
13:23:21.084 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 22: Checking command org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@f17303.
13:23:21.087 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 22: Command verified org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.protocol.ZWaveCommandClassPayload@f17303.
13:23:21.090 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - NODE 22: notifyTransactionResponse TID:709 DONE
13:23:21.094 [DEBUG] [nding.zwave.handler.ZWaveThingHandler] - NODE 22: Got an event from Z-Wave network: ZWaveTransactionCompletedEvent
13:23:21.097 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 1
13:23:21.099 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction completed - outstandingTransactions 0
13:23:21.102 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - ZWaveReceiveThread queue empty
13:23:21.107 [DEBUG] [rnal.protocol.ZWaveTransactionManager] - Transaction SendNextMessage 0 out at start. Holdoff false.

Typically you’ll want to use the item “received update” trigger instead of the item “changed” trigger. That should capture each of the events regardless of if it is the same or different.

See the event triggers section of the rules page.

Trigger the rule on update and then check to see if both the newState implicit variable and the Item state are both ON.

Thanks guys!

I feel a bit dumb, sorry guys I should have figured that out myself. Let’s just call it a senior moment. :slight_smile:

We need to help each other out
 that’s what makes this a community!

2 Likes

You’ll get varying results depending on your device. Back on previous versions of the zwave binding, my levitons would not reliably send another on command if the light was already on.

If you want more reliable performance for redundant tap, double or even triple tap, you may want to look into switches that support “zwave scenes” such as homeseer or inovelli. Those devices can send physical triggers no matter the state.

The Leviton devices do support SCENE_ACTIVATION. Unfortunately, it needs to be treated as BASIC, but the binding doesn’t poll BASIC anymore, so the scene_number Channel never updates. Hopefully, this is something that will be remedied in the new binding.

1 Like

I think you might be looking for ‘central scene’. I’ve used this for double taps on the Homeseer switches, and the newer GE/Jasco switches support it too. I like the newer switches from GE/Jasco labeled “QuickFit” as the depth really is smaller which is quite handy when stuffing these into the wall boxes.