How to connect Nilan CTS602 modbus interface

What makes you think this?
In the transform related error logs that you showed us, the channels appear to have data values - 2, 3, etc.

Looks good, and nothing from here will prevent you from setting of the channel and the items then.

So your problem seem to be the missing tranformation file only, right?
I just checked, itĀ“s inside the archive posted at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
Download the file transform.rar.txt (bototm of the first post) - rename the file to transform.rar - Extract the files, and move them into /etc/openhab2/tranformations/ folder.

Then this error should dissapear.

Download the file transform.rar.txt (bototm of the first post) - rename the file to transform.rar - Extract the files, and move them into /etc/openhab2/tranformations/ folder.
Hi
is this where i need to insert the transform.rar.txt file ??

what about things files is it right that i have done here ?? still have problems with usb dongle not poller

What problems??? Iā€™m fishing for what symptoms you see. Error messages? Lack of flashing lights? No data?

yes Lack of flashing lights on usb dongleā€¦for some data ā€¦ also have the same error with transform file ā€¦ have put a file in transform directory ā€¦ but have little doubt if i made it right

Perhaps your USB dongle doesnā€™t have lights, none of mine do.

You are looking at the correct folder for transform files ā€¦ but you will have to un-RAR them.

Hiā€¦
then i found the errorā€¦there was the things file that was the problem and now polling usb dongle ā€¦ but i get some big temperature in see picture and there is also some text line missing, can well switch off / switch on system

@Kim_Andersen original post uses a divide by ten javascript transformation in some data Things.

Hi all,

seems like Iā€™m not the only one struggling with modbus related problems. I seem to have unconsciousness in my Grafana graphs for Nilan EC9. The setup worked pretty well in old 1.x Openhab I would say.

The modbus errors
https://pastebin.com/KKYbcifZ

Configuration
As described in this thread. I tried to change baud from 19200 to 9600 without any result.

Possible causes

1. The serial adapter RS485 USB-module (http://shop.in-circuit.de/product_info.php?cPath=38&products_id=81 ) is failing
  2. Configuration error
    2.1 Openhab configuration error
    2.2 Raspbian configuration error
  3. Cabling error (maybe not?)
  4. Raspberry Pi 3B failing for yet unknow reason?

I have started to enable reading central heating status, but I would say that Iā€™ve had these error all the time. I assume that itā€™s not Grafana related problem.

Any ideas or good tips?

IOException CRC Error in received frame: 0 bytes: ', cause2=null)

The binding received rubbish data from your device. Seems to be an ā€œempty packetā€, so my guess is that noise is triggering the receiver.
Pay attention to use of twisted pair cabling and terminating resistors.
Consider adding some time to the inter-transaction minimum.
Be sure thereā€™s only one master on the bus.
Yes, the cheap USB-R485 dongles do go wrong - but cheap to replace.

I am starting to connect my Nilan Combi 302 Polar to my Raspberry Pi with OpenHabian. My Nilan is a never version with this plug into the unit:
Google Photos
I assume that the two connectors between the brown and the orange are 485+/485- respectively, but which is which? The diagram for the 302 Polar is here, but I cannot see form this which is which:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CZAEp-2Y-qYMen-0kV2833hXjirjrY-E/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

I cant tell for sure from that docā€¦ It looks abit strange to me as there is a Gound lacking.
It may be better descriped inside the modbus doc for your system.

Being an enduser seemingly it is rather limited what information one can get. But having searched a bit I found this document which is not specific to my model, but for the 602 Modbus protocol:
Pin 1:12 VDC output
Pin 2:COM1 - RS 485 Data+ (A) - Modbus
Pin 3:COM1 - RS 485 Data- (/B) - Modbus
Pin 4:COM2 - RS 485 Data+ (A) - User panel
Pin 5:COM2 - RS 485 Data- (/B) - User panel
Pin 6:Ground

From that I assume that the upper PIN (blue cable) is 6 and therefore GND. PIN3 and PIN2 therefore 485- and 485+ respectively. Will try to connect like that.

Looking forward to this project - will be truly amazing if it succeeds :slight_smile:

That pinout seems more helpful than the previous drawing referring to 8-pin connectors.
You could check with a meter the +12V connections for a bit more confidence.

Getting RS485 A/B wrong way round isnā€™t usually a disaster, though obviously it wonā€™t work that way.

1 Like

So you assume PIN1 is the lowest in your picture? (isnt it written somewhere on the plug?).
ItĀ“s the same as mine, just opposite direction then. And A1 and B1 is for modbus.

The 12volt PIN and the Ground are probably on the outer sides. If he has a userpanel connected, its probably the two PINs in used, leaving only two pins unused for modbus :smiley:
But youĀ“re right, and option is to test the 12volt and Ground pins.

If youā€™ve got a connector with blue and brown wires ā€¦ itā€™s a good idea to double check itā€™s the one you think it is :crazy_face:

Hehe yesā€¦ ItĀ“s always good to double checkā€¦ In this case its blue and orange for the Ground and 12volt :smiley:

Nothingā€™s written neither outside or inside the cabinet. However, I will test all 4 PINS to verify which one is the 12V. But Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the lower (orange) one. From Nilans doc I am also pretty confident that 2 is A and 3 is B. When Iā€™m a little longer in the process I will post an update on my findings.

I dont disagree :smiley:Looking forward to hear about your progress.