How to control Nexa relay with Ikea Trådfri switch

I have a Raspberry Pi running Openhab 2. Now I would like to control a Nexa MSOR-3500 relay with an Ikea Trådfri on/off switch. What would be the best way to set this up? I’m able to control the relay from OpenHab but I can’t find the switch anywhere.

I have Philips Hue Bridge and Ikea Trådfri Gateway connected to the LAN as well as an RFXCOM (RFXtrx433XL) and a Z-wave dongle connected via USB to the Raspberry Pi.

Arild

Have you installed the Tradfri binding?

Yes. It exposes two channels:

• Battery level
  • Low Battery
    I’m kind of missing a third channel named switch or something similar.

The TRÅDFRI controller and sensor devices currently cannot be observed right away because they are communicating directly with the bulbs or lamps without routing their commands through the gateway. This makes it nearly impossible to trigger events for pressed buttons. We only can access some static data like the present status or battery level.

From the binding page.

I don’t use this binding, but to me it doesn’t look like switches will work with it. Certainly, none of the examples show a switch being used.

When googling, it seems like there are people out there managing this through events and other black magic. I’m not proficient in such magic, so I’m currently out of luck. Since the Ikea switch can be paired with the Philips Hue, I was hoping that the standard was open enough, so that someone had figured out how to pair it with OpenHab.

Well, the standard is ‘open’ - it’s just a Zigbee switch.

Have you tried a Hue binding?

Note that it is definitely possible to use the switch with openHAB.

Didn’t have any luck with the Hue Binding. It gives me scenes and timers but not the switch. Will I be able to get zigbee2mqtt to work with the hardware described in the original question?

No, unfortunately not.

I wouldn’t give up yet though - hopefully someone has managed to get the switch working through either binding, or can authoritatively confirm that it won’t work!