How to Group tradfri Lights with Paper UI

I`ve 6 Bulbs and 1 Remote of Ikea Tradfri and everthing works fine. I just want to dim the 6 Bulbs in 2 Groups. How to group them inside Paper UI?

You know how to create Items, correct? A Group is just a type of item.

The Group is a special Item type that can be used to define a category or collection into which you can combine other Items or Groups. An Item may be put into one or more groups, and groups may be nested inside other groups.

From

I created a group but cant link the brightness items of my bulbs. so what do i do wrong?

Group the brightness channels and use this group item as a slider.

Your can’t group channels. You can only group items

@Daniceguy
Did you create items linked to each relevant channels?

Off course you can. Just combine them in the channel using a comma.

Color 	LightItem	 "Lights"	 ["Lighting"] { channel="hue:0210:0017884f6873:1:color,hue:0210:0017884f6873:37:color,hue:0210:0017884f6873:3:color,hue:0210:0017884f6873:54:color" }

That’s not a group, that’s linking several channels to ONE item

The OP said:

I don’t know if the OP has made the difference between items and channels yet
And I have a strong suspicion that he is using the PaperUI as a control interface.

But I would love to be proven wrong

Yes, i missed the PaperUI reference, so i am sorry for my invalid answer.

But i enjoy to spread knowledge about grouping channels into one item (without PaperUI). :wink:

That was what i meant, but youre right. Thats not a group item, but its a group. :see_no_evil:

And again, no, it’s not a group.
It’s linking several channels to one item.

A group is an item aggregating several items

1 Like

Because OH has been specific terminology, it is vital that you are clear what you mean. “Group” had a very specific meaning in OH. It becomes very confusing when you use that word in a different way (e.g “grouping Channels in an Item”).

A far less confusing way to say the same thing would be “linking multiple Channels to the same Item.” Also note how when I use OH terms, I’ll use a capital letter to make it even more clear that I’m referring to an OH concept and not the generic concept.

Conceptionally saying “grouping a bunch of channels on an item” or calling such an arrangement a “group” is extremely confusing and should be avoided.