How to remove a ZigBee device in OpenHAB 2.5.10

I’m using a CC2531 USB Stick and the ZigBee binding in OpenHAB. Now I want to remove two ZigBee devices from the system forever. Both were discovered and bind with the help of the Inbox in the PaperUI with the “Simple Mode” switched on.

I’ve already removed Z-Wave things from the system, but I think, that the process with ZigBee is different.

I’ve read the documentation on https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/zigbee/. There I’ve found the following text:

Leave

When a thing is deleted, the binding will attempt to remove the device from the network by sending the leave command on the network. The binding will put the Thing into the REMOVING state and once the leave is confirmed it will be finally REMOVED. It is not advised for force remove the Thing as this may cause an incomplete removal, and the device may be immediately added back to the Inbox.

#

Is it correct that I just must click on the “Delete thing” icon (the one with the trash can image) under Configuration / Things in the PaperUI and then wait until the status of the thing changes from online to something like “REMOVING” and then confirm the deletion (how?)?

Isn’t there any action I need to take on the device as I do with a Z-Wave device?

Is it better to use the HABmin user interface for this?

Yes, that’s correct. The binding will then remove the device from the network. Note that the thing will only be removed if there is confirmation that the device was removed from the network, which may not occur in all instances.

No - just delete the thing - the binding will then remove the device from the network. It is different to ZWave - in ZWave you need to remove a device by selecting the device - so you put the controller into exclude mode, then click the device. In ZigBee, you tell the coordinator to remove the explicit device, and it will attempt to do that.

Removing a device from the network - especially sleepy devices - can be problematic in ZigBee.

1 Like

Removing my hue bulb doesn’t factory reset it, so I can’t connect it to a different Zigbee controller. Note that I do NOT have a hue bridge and DO NOT want a hue bridge.

Is there any way to factory reset it directly through openhab? Note that I’ve tried hue-thief.py and it is giving me a syntax error.

If you make it leave the network (I’m not sure what system you have it connected to), then it will be reset and it can join another network.

No - the only way I know of to reset a hue is with the hue remote.

If you make it leave the network (I’m not sure what system you have it connected to), then it will be reset and it can join another network.

It’s connected to a Zigbee stick (HUSBZB-1) controlled via OpenHab (2.5). The only option I have is to deleted the “thing” in OpenHab, but that doesn’t make it fully leave the network so I can’t pair it to something else.

It should. It will tell the device to leave the zigbee network.