How to replace Hue in 1st Tutorial

Total newbie here! I’ve searched in several places here and external but don’t know how to set a computer as a Thing (presumably) and use a Binding. I could not find any Generic Computer thing and most of the existing applicable bindings state that No thing types can be added with this binding.

What are the steps to enroll some computers into OHv4 for nominal state information (online, offline)? These computers do not expose HTTP end-points and I couldn’t use that binding. Thanks.

Regards.

P.S. Don’t have a Hue eco-system and therefore could not step through that tutorial. Apologies for asking such a fundamental question but perhaps my comprehension skills need improvement too. Thanks for your understanding.

If you want to get online/offline information from a computer/device, you can use different bindings:

E.g.

• network binding and ping the device
  • a binding that supports a router you are using, like the tr-064 binding
  • if you want to get information about the server where OH is running you can use the systeminfo binding
  • you can add a socket that will monitor power consumption and determine online/offline based on the power consumption (e.g. reported via wifi, ZigBee, …)

There are more than 400 bindings available, you really need to have a look what devices / manufacturers you are using at home, and if there is a related binding or use one of the genetic bindings

https://www.openhab.org/addons/

If you are referring to Getting Started, that’s just an example of a “simple” binding. A simple binding is one where you install the binding, scan for new devices and accept them from the inbox. Nothing gets created manually.

Those are the parts you should pay attention to. The fact that it’s Hue is just because something had to be chosen as the example.

For simple ONLINE/OFFLINE status of a device on the network, you’d want to follow the same steps as shown in that tutorial only using the Network binding. However, note that when you scan every device on your network that responds to a Ping will appear. If you’ve a lot of devices that could be a lot. So you might consider manually creating the Thing.

Note that this only shows whether the device is on the network responding to pings or not. OH is not a generic IT monitoring service. If you need more you’ll probably have to look outside of OH.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.