How to run 2 Instances of the OpenHAB iOS App on an iPhone

I have successfully been interfacing my Arduino Mega 2560-based home security system to OpenHAB for several years. The Arduino handles all I/O devices; OH is used for the UI and high-level controls like presence detection, wemo light switches, etc.

I am now ready to field a 2nd OpenHAB instance; this one that will run a pool system at another location. In preparation I have this week completed migrating from OH2.4 to OH3.0.1 to ensure everything is current release.

I would like to be able to access both instances from my iPhone, at least until the pool instance has been properly field tested. I’ve Googled but have not found any direct solution, only 4-year-old threads suggesting a work-around solution to install a Beta Version of the iOS App via TestFlight.

1. Is the released version of the iOS App capable of interfacing multiple OH3 instances?

2. Can 2 instances of OH3 at separate locations share the same user account?

3. Can 2 instances of OH3 share the same UUID and Secret?

4. Is installing a Beta Version of the iOS App via TestFlight the best solution?

Any suggestions?
Community help is always appreciated.

As far as I’m aware:

• it is not possible to run multiple instances of the openHAB-App on an iPhone, possible workarounds might be:
    • Beta Verion
    • Is the openHAB-App Open Source? In that case you might be able to download the code and bring it on your phone with a slightly different name
  • openHAB-App is not able to handle multiple openHAB-Instances

Possible workarounds:

• openHAB has a binding to integrate additional openHAB instances. If you use this you would only need to interface with your main openHAB installation: Remote openHAB - Bindings | openHAB
  • use the Web Browser on your phone and openHABs Basic UI instead of the openHAB App
2 Likes
  1. I can’t answer.

2. No.

3. Not effectively. Only the most recently attached openHAB instance will be accessible.

4. Can’t answer that.

1. No

2. No

3. No

4. Another option is to have two different accounts on myopenHAB, one for each location. You could than create a Homescreen link for these accounts and have both installations‘ MainUI available.

Hans
If I understand correctly I have only 2 options:

• Option 1 - Per your reply, “have two different accounts on myopenHAB, one for each location. You could than create a Homescreen link for these accounts and have both installations‘ MainUI available.”

• Option 2 - Have two different accounts on myopenHAB, one for each location. And in the iOS App change Setting for Local URL, Remote URL, Username, and Password to switch between accounts.

Option 2 really won’t work. The app will only try to connect to the remote URL when it cannot connect to the local URL.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.