How to setup things files?

Then use the F@#$ing Karaf Console. Like I’ve suggested three times already.

I understand but you ignore what I’ve said three times now.

IT

IS

IMPOSSIBLE

FOR

SOME

BINDINGS

TO

DEFINE

THINGS

IN

TEXT

FILES

For those bindings that DO support manually created Things

READ

THE

BINDING

README

FOR

HOW

TO

DEFINE

THINGS

IN

.THINGS

FILES

Did I mention, that I want to use files???

but you ignore what I’ve said three times now.

No, but you just didn’t read what I posted… I HAS read the documentation. I posted a link to the Hue documentation that clearly sais that the configuration via file is possible.

THIS IS WHERE I MADE SOME MISTAKE!!! HERE I NEED HELP!
TO SETUP THE THINGS/ITEMS FILES!!!

Am I speaking Chinese? Because it’s not possible that my English is THAT bad!

regards,
Dave

Your English appears very good but there is clearly a communication problem. I stopped posting on this thread because it felt like most questions and suggestions were ignored, possibly misunderstood, but after you’ve tried a few times to put things across in a few ways but it still seems to get thrown back at you you end up thinking ‘I’ve got better things to be spending my time on’.

These are from my first post and as far as I see it still pertinent:
As you’re a developer I’d highly recommend the file route, you can always play with the GUI to see stuff but do final build in files.

What I also found really handy was you can read the PaperUI JSON database because it’s basically a text file, just look in the openhab2/jsondb folder and you’ll find the appropriately named files for things, items and channel links etc. If you’re stuck on something you can usually read what PaperUI is doing from it’s database and reverse it back in to the required native file format.

So if you can add Things linked via channels to Items in PaperUI and it all works then do it! At that point stop OH, copy the PaperUI JSON DB files out for backup, restart OH and clear out those Items and Things via PaperUI and start building you own FILES but look in the (text based) JSON DB files to see how it dealt with those very important little details. I can’t give you my Hue Things and Items cause I don’t have any, but this process is exactly what I did for converting from PaperUI to files.

Good luck.

I don’t know if you have your Hue bulb set up properly yet but just quickly looking at the thing you set up, and the log output, shows you have something set up wrong. The log is telling you that the thing hue:0200:1:bulb1 was updated, but you’re trying to use an item linked to hue:0200:5:bulb1:color

The below is perhaps a solution to this problem:

Bridge hue:bridge:1 [ ipAddress="192.168.X.X", userName="XXX" ] {
    0200 1 bulb1  [ lightId="1" ]
}

This would have the hue bridge defined by your IP be associated with a bulb thing with the id of 1.

You can also take things further if you DESPERATELY want to see the things clearer in PaperUI.

Bridge hue:bridge:1 "Hue Controller" @ "Hue" [ ipAddress="192.168.X.X", userName="XXX" ] {
    0200 1 bulb1  "Bulb 1" @ "Hue" [ lightId="1" ]
}

The text in quotes is used to determine the tab the things are shown on.

1 Like

This is exactly my frustration. I should follow your example and just bow out. Nothing frustrates me more than thatn freely offering up my help only to be ignored.

This is my last post in this thread.

In the future, you can save us all a whole lot of time but actually leading with your specific problem, not a general complaint about how much OH sucks and a general question.

Your original post states you want to use .things file for EVERYTHING. You don’t mention Hue until the fourth post and then only in passing. At that point you have said and done things to indicate you didn’t really understand key concepts (i.e. calling the Thing in the Inbox a Binding, not appearing to understand the difference, thinking you could just post Ray’s example Things in your setup and that they would do anything for your specific setup, especially control your Hue lights since nothing he posted addresses Hue). Next time then say that you need help with Hue Things. No where in your original posting do you mention Hue. You just complain about how much OH sucks and ask general questions.

When you Bring Hue up again it comes across as a single example. I continued to address your original question: “How to I use .things file for ALL Things?” At this point you apparently switched to “How do I make .things files for Hue?”

The answer to “How do I use .things file for ALL Things?” is still “You can’t, some bindings do not support that.” The answer to “How do I make .things files for Hue?” is in the Hue README. And if you are having trouble, as you saw with job and paul’s postings, we can start to help with specifics.

No, you didn’t. You posted this:

http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/things.html

The generic documentation explaining how Things work and can be defined for those Bindings that support them in general.

The Hue specific documentation is here

http://docs.openhab.org/addons/bindings/hue/readme.html

I provided no fewer than three ways you can find this README, which all indications are you ignored since you think you posted the link to the Hue documentation along with other things you’ve posted.

And you can see there is copious documentation about how to create and populate a Hue Thing in a .things file. The fact that you

So to summarize, I’m frustrated that you are ignoring my answers, do not has quite as good of an understanding of how OH works as you think you do, and you switched the question half way through the posting. I continued to answer the original one. Finally, you will be more help and those of us helping are far more likely to be patient if ask specific questions and save your “OH sucks” comments for later in the thread.

2 Likes

Thanks to @job who heloed me last night I found the problem…The inbox showed the wrong ID of the hue bridge…
I copied the ID from my old JSON DB… now with the correct ID it’s working…

thanks a lot

Sorry, to bother again…

Although the Hue lightbulbls are working fine now… OH didn’t find the Hue motion sensor and the hue remote…
Everything else was found by autodiscover, but not these items…

thx
best regards
Dave

thx…
Why is this such a problem to implement that? The issue is open for more than a year now…
Hue provides a very easy-to-use REST API. I was able to program an interface in PHP to read the sensor in less then two hours… ok read-only without extensive unctionality, but it didn’t seem that complicated.

regards, Dave