How to show a dimmer with a switch in PaperUI using an MQTT backend?

All I wanted to know is, does the type selection drop down say “Dimmer” or “Percent”? Everywhere else it is referred to as Dimmer, but you missed it here at first, you won’t be the only one by far.

Post a screenshot and I’ll raise an issue, if you don’t want to.

It shows ‘Percentage’ in the drop-down list, I have already shared that fact in an earlier post > How to show a dimmer with a switch in PaperUI using an MQTT backend?

Yes of course it would be more obvious if it was worded to the effect of ‘Percentage (ie dimmer)’ or something to make it instantly apparent that is the one to use for a dimmer.

iridium_oSqChA2Ger

Whithout checking the code, It seems that the MQTT Bindings dimmer channel does not accept ON/OFF commands, therefore there is no corresponding Switch rendered in PaperUI.
According to the openHAB semantic it should accept those commands like other Bindings and therefore this is a bug that should be raised at github.

hmm, now it begins to make more sense about (mis)labelling it as percentage.
I can understand in part - on/off commands in a generic MQTT context might well have to do something rather different to 30% setting.
An approach would be to have separate on/off and percent channels, which can both be linked to one OH Dimmer Item, and have the percent channel ignore on/off commands while the on/off channel ignores numeric commands.

Just an example from the WeMo Dimmer Switch.
The dimmer channel will get an OFF command, which internally will be transformed into brightness value of 0%, on the other hand, ON command is transformed to the last known brightness.
So from Item side, you can link a Dimmer Item and a Switch item to the brightness channel, like to be seen on the WeMo docs.

1 Like

Exactly what I was expecting here in this scenario from a functional perspective.

How does one go about raising this higher up the food-chain to the appropriate party?

As in I can raise a github bug yes, but can this discussion involve the appropriate devs here before raising a bug?

Not neccesarily, as I might have identified the missing part.
The channel definition for the generic MQTT things dimmer channel is missing the following in the XML file

<category>DimmableLight</category>

The logic should already be in place.
But, as what has been said before, PaperUI is not meant to be an everyday control Interface, just an admin interface and will be deprecated with openHAB 3, so what exactly is your use case here ?

If deprecation is on the cards, then there is no issue, it would be pointless. However I’m glad that I wasn’t going ‘mad’ in my observation.

1 Like