How to switch to the snapshot version of the zwave binding?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4
    • Java Runtime Environment: 11.0.13 (Zulu11.52+13-CA)
    • openHAB version: openHAB 3.1.0 Release Build

While I am waiting for my first zwave device to get added to the zwave database, I am moving on to building up my zwave network.

So I’d like to avoid buying something that is not already in the database.
I can filter through the database looking for devices, but I see many are listed as beeing approved, but with a tag of OH-SNAPSHOT.

I assume that means the device is in the snapshot build only.

If that is the case, how do I switch my zwave binding over to the snapshot? I searched here for that information, but uncovered only one posting that was related, but it was for an old version of OpenHab.

I’m asking here in the beginner’s forum because it seems it would be typical for a beginner to do an initial setup and find they need to do this.

That post you found is probably still valid. You need to uninstall the binding, download the jar file for the snapshot version and drop that into the addons folder.

Most users will just upgrade the whole system to SNAPSHOT. If you are on openHABian, there is an option in openhabian-config to change which version is installed. If you installed via apt, you need to change the repo: openHAB on Linux | openHAB

Pay attention to the date though on when the entry was approved. You might be able to just move to the latest milestone.

Or you can way to the end of the month for the next OH release.

Ok Thanks for the help. And thanks about checking if it’s in the Milestone release. I’ve been searching here for all kinds of questions as I set up my system and I’m never quite sure if an old answer still applies…

It’s a hard problem. We can’t exactly go and remove all the old stuff so there could be a lot of no longer correct information. But for the most part, unless it has to do with the UIs or rules it likely works exactly the same as it always has. It’s always worth a shot.

Most likely there is an additional step needed so that the snapshot version of Z-Wave is functional (installing the binding takes care of this dependency, using the snapshot it needs to be done manually):
In the OH console you need to invoke

feature:install openhab-transport-serial

Yep, I forgot about that. That bundle needs to be installed too, unless there is already another binding that also depends on it is already installed. (e.g. zigbee).

1 Like