This is probably a FAQ so please point me there if so.
What is the best practice to try out unofficial code on a running OH server? At home I have 80+ device Z-Wave network that I have twice now spent too much time setting up OH things and items while messing with different versions of OH2. On one hand I want to develop and contribute but on the other hand my outside lights have been on for 3 weeks now since I don’t have time to repair my latest configuration mistake. I don’t mind debugging and figuring it out but I do mind spending hours in a GUI, only to have to do it again and again on a different OH installation.
- If I grab a OH2.5.0.M1 installation and make that my “production” version for day-to-day automations, can I download/build a ToT or personal fork of the Z-Wave binding and replace it?
- If so, will it be a JAR file I replace or place?
- If so, where do I put it?
- Can I update with just a new device database or is the database embedded in the package along with the code?
- Do I need to shut down the whole OH instance or can I just shut down the Z-Wave binding and restart the new version?
- What are some gotchas I’m not asking?
In short: how do others here rapidly develop/debug the Z-Wave plugin on a real system?