How to upgrade Zwave-Binding to latest Snapshot?

Thank you @tonus for detailed guide, I am preparing (more mentally) for my first manual upgrade of z-wave binding in order to start using sensative comfort strips http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/747

Does anyone know btw when might official openhab 2.3 be released (couldn’t find any info on the web)?

Next week.

2 Likes

I found that it is actually this simple:

• (from Windows) copy the .jar from the first line in this post to the openHAB2-conf Samba share.
  • on the box just do a sudo cp /etc/openhab2/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.3.0-SNAPSHOT.jar /usr/share/openhab2/addons/ . The binding will restart itself. Check with bundle:list | grep -i z in karaf.
  • if you have also upgraded the OH2 snapshot and the binding doesn’t become Active, chances are you need to do a feature:install openhab-transport-serial in karaf.

My experience (on Windows) was pretty much this (and yes, this simple). And these steps all worked on an OpenHab 2.3.0-1 stable release build.

And I wanted to thank @chris for his effort on this binding. I submitted a new device a few weeks ago, and he had a snapshot out including my new device within a week. Thanks, Chris!

1 Like

I have been trying to do the same - upgrade the Zwave binding with the snapshot to upgrade the database. Dropping the jar file did make the openhab pick the new binding, but OH2 is unable to initialize the device (zwave serial controller). It keeps throwing HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR. I have already installed the openhab-transport-serial and restarted OH2 a couple of times. It is also active as shown by the Karaf console below.
211 | Active | 80 | 3.12.0.OH | nrjavaserial
Here is the log in case someone gets a clue why it is happening.

11:53:55.768 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0123’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
11:53:55.768 [DEBUG] [ing.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler] - Initializing ZWave serial controller.
11:53:55.771 [DEBUG] [zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler] - Initializing ZWave Controller.
11:53:55.776 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0123’ changed from INITIALIZING to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR)
11:53:55.776 [ERROR] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Exception occurred while initializing handler of thing ‘zwave:serial_zstick:0123’: java.lang.NullPointerException

Thanks in advance!

Can you provide the full stack trace from the exception - just the exception itself doesn’t provide any information about why/where it occurred.

That was a quick reply. Here is the complete log.

12:16:58.097 [INFO ] [me.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zwave:serial_zstick:0123' changed from INITIALIZING to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR)
12:16:58.098 [ERROR] [ome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager] - Exception occurred while initializing handler of thing 'zwave:serial_zstick:0123': java.lang.NullPointerException
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)[:1.8.0_151]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(FutureTask.java:206)[:1.8.0_151]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common.SafeMethodCaller.callAsynchronous(SafeMethodCaller.java:194)[99:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common.SafeMethodCaller.call(SafeMethodCaller.java:83)[99:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common.SafeMethodCaller.call(SafeMethodCaller.java:67)[99:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager.doInitializeHandler(ThingManager.java:738)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager.initializeHandler(ThingManager.java:664)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager.access$12(ThingManager.java:639)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$2.apply(ThingManager.java:681)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$2.apply(ThingManager.java:1)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core.BundleProcessorVetoManager.bundleFinished(BundleProcessorVetoManager.java:68)[95:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml.osgi.AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor.informListeners(AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor.java:253)[98:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml.osgi.AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor.access$3(AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor.java:251)[98:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml.osgi.AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor$1.run(AbstractAsyncBundleProcessor.java:242)[98:org.eclipse.smarthome.config.xml:0.9.0.b5]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)[:1.8.0_151]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.openhab.binding.zwave.internal.ZWaveConfigProvider.getThingTypeConfig(ZWaveConfigProvider.java:374)[212:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.4.0.201807081945]
        at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveControllerHandler.initialize(ZWaveControllerHandler.java:95)[212:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.4.0.201807081945]
        at org.openhab.binding.zwave.handler.ZWaveSerialHandler.initialize(ZWaveSerialHandler.java:78)[212:org.openhab.binding.zwave:2.4.0.201807081945]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$9.call(ThingManager.java:741)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingManager$9.call(ThingManager.java:1)[106:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.9.0.b5]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.common.SafeMethodCaller$CallableWrapper.call(SafeMethodCaller.java:181)[99:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.9.0.b5]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)[:1.8.0_151]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)[:1.8.0_151]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)[:1.8.0_151]
        ... 1 more

Okay, so it seems upgrading to OH2.3.0-1 has solved the problem. I did have to reinstall the serial feature again, but thereafter the serial controller was added and it is now able to find the 29+ nodes that were originally deleted!

Strange - the ZWave binding is exactly the same between these versions…

Anyway, if it’s gone, then that’s good :slight_smile: .

Hi! Thnk you very much for your documentation!

I was able to get to this:

Blockquoteopenhab> bundle:list | grep -i zwave
224 │ Installed │ 80 │ 2.5.0.201909170405 │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: ZWave Binding
225 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0 │ ZWave Binding

Can you o someone please elaborate a bit further what needs to be done to get the newer version active and the old resolved?

Many thanks!
BR
Uwe

bundle:uninstall 225

Thank you!

That didn’t work, so I had to put this file org.apache.servicemix.bundles.xstream-1.4.7_1.jar into the Addons folder too, to get 2.5.x activated.

BR
Uwe