How to use OpenHab on mobile Devices

Hello everyone,

I have a stupid question, but unfortunately I didn’t find anything existing that helps me. I am using Openhabian 2.5.10 on a Raspberry Pi 3 and I am actually very satisfied. But I have a problem on mobile devices. The HabPanel is not displayed correctly on them, although I have activated the experimental Mobile Mode. Knobs are not displayed on it and therefore cannot be operated.

Therefore my question: How is the construct designed? Maybe I’m just using it wrong, I just want to control my SmartHome devices from my Smartphone and display important information. The HabPanel is probably (still?) not suitable for this. What would be the right thing to do? I don’t want to use my laptop every time I want to raise the temperature in the room, for example.

Thank you very much for your great work.

Best regards
Lorddoener

There’s a few options.

I use Sitemaps, which can be used from the openHAB app.

By the looks of things this might get easier with openHAB 3, due for release in a month or so.

Ultimately, though, I personally strive for automation, so that I don’t need to manually adjust anything at all. Not easy though!

2 Likes

I also prefer sitemaps over HABPanels in the mobile app.

My default sitemap is configured to work well for both desktop and mobile use. But if you want, you can set up a second sitemap and configure that for mobile. It’s not going to be as pretty as a HABPanel, but it’s a lot less work to maintain.

1 Like

This is the recommended method. HABPanel isn’t built for mobiles.

OH3 will have the MainUI to effectively replace HABpanel. It also adapts to the endpoint type so can be used from mobiles as well as from PCs. Maybe it’ll even replace the app and sitemaps one day.
Watch out for the demo tomorrow (see pinned announcement).

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

thank you for the helpful answers. I have set up the HabPanel with a lot of effort via the GUI. Sitemaps I would have to code, which is possible but very time consuming with the amount of devices. Of course I implemented the automations with rules.

My question would be, is it worth waiting for OH3 and can I migrate HabPanel to the MainUI?
In general: Is a “simple” update process planned or is the migration more like rebuilding the system?
How is the MainUI configured? (GUI?)

Sorry for the many questions and thanks for your help
Lukas

Hi, the New UI is a completly new and you have to rebuild the system from stretch
By the way, If you use the semantic model the New UI create for you an already complete UI … later you can personalize as you like
Regards
Lorenzo

2 Likes