Howto display 16bit status bytes

Hi all, I am hoping for some direction here… I am currently polling data from my solar controller and displaying them as floats, which is working ok but 2 of my status registers are actually mostly bit flags and 2 and 3 bit values… which would be much more useful to view as such… I have tried a few rules to try and pull some of the flags out, but am hoping there is a more elegant approach… can anyone point me to an example or suggest a direction?

thanks

It would be great if you can provide a little bit more information und and more specific requests.

How do you pull the bit values at the moment? and How Do you Display them.

Thomas

Thanks for your response…
my efforts at this point seem to break down at my java understanding… my modbus polls are returning proper data ( 16bit road only registers ) and it my sitemap is displaying SolarTracerABattStatus and SolarTracerAChargeStatus as decimal numbers… I am attempting to use a logical AND to pull out the indidvual bits as separate status flags… but seem to be unable to use AND in my rules… I get a screen full of java error messages as soon as I introduce the AND operation… I am importing these libraries…
import org.openhab.core.library.types.*
import org.openhab.core.persistence.*
import org.openhab.model.script.actions.*
import java.lang.Math

part of my solar.items
Number SolarTracerABattStatus “Tracer Battery Status [%d ]” (gTH_Solar_Status) {modbus=“slave2:0”}
Number SolarTracerABattVoltStatus “Status Batt Voltage [%d ]” (gTH_Solar_Status) {}

Number SolarTracerAChargeStatus “Tracer Charger Status [%d ]” (gTH_Solar_Status) {modbus=“slave2:1”}
Number SolarTracerAChargeRun “Status RUN [%d]” (gTH_Solar_Status) {}
Number SolarTracerAChargeNormal “Status NORMAL/Fault [%d]” (gTH_Solar_Status) {}

my rules attempt
rule "ChargStatus"
when
Item SolarTracerAChargeStatus received update or
Time cron "0 * * * * ?"
then
var Integer temp2=0
if(SolarTracerAChargeStatus.state instanceof DecimalType ) ChargeStatus= (SolarTracerAChargeStatus.state as DecimalType )
temp2 = ChargeStatus & 0x1
postUpdate(SolarTracerAChargeRun,temp2)

var Integer temp3=(SolarTracerAChargeStatus.state as DecimalType & 2)
     postUpdate(SolarTracerAChargeNormal,temp3)

end

this rule fails with
Error during the execution of rule ChargStatus
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Ambiguous methods [protected java.lang.Object org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._evaluateAssignment(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XAssignment,org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.IEvaluationContext,org.eclipse.xtext.util.CancelIndicator), protected java.lang.Object org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._evaluateBlockExpression(org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.XBlockExpression,org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.IEvaluationContext,org.eclipse.xtext.util.CancelIndicator), protected java.lang.Object org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.interpreter.impl.XbaseInterpreter._evaluateBooleanLiteral(org… much more…

thanks for your time…

I’d be looking at number typing. Bitwise AND on a decimal type doesn’t make much sense.

See Modbus binding wiki for use of slave ‘valuetype’, I think you’d be wanting int16