HP printer M554 binding error (handshake failure from javax.net.ssl)

I am trying to configure my HP printer in OpenHAB (rpi4). Printer model is HP Color LaserJet M554, connected to LAN via an Ethernet cable. Rpi4 sits on an Ethernet cable as well, same network (same router actually). I am getting PING replies from the printer in the OpenHAB ssh session so the physical connection is there.

However, when I put the IP address of the printer in the OpenHAB’s configuration page, I am getting:

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

… and the printer remains in the OFFLINE status.

Any ideas how I can solve this one?

OpenHAB 3.4.0 on RBPi 4 (4GB RAM model)

If all else fails, you could use the SNMP Binding:

channels:
  - id: toner_level_black
    channelTypeUID: snmp:number
    label: toner_level_black
    description: ""
    configuration:
      datatype: UINT32
      unit: "%"
      oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.43.11.1.1.7.1.1
  - id: pages_printed
    label: pages_printed
    configuration:
      oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.43.10.2.1.4.1.1
  - id: uptime
    label: uptime
    configuration:
      oid: .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

Of course, your OIDs may vary.

Thanks - where do I configure the “channels” thingy? I am new to OpenHAB. Is this a file somewhere in the OpenHAB filesystem?

GUI:
Install SNMP Binding first, then:
Settings → Things → press blue [+] button → SNMP Binding → SNMP Target → configure hostname → Create Thing → Select the new Thing from the list of all Things → Channels → Add channel (OIDs correspond to Channels of the Thing) - don’t forget to save your changes.

Thanks!

For future reference: in order to retrieve the full ist of all SNMP channels from a printer, I had to install the snmp package in my local WSL2 instance then issue the following command: sudo snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 192.168.1.51 (the last part is the IP address of the printer)

Some MIBs for HP printers:
https://developers.hp.com/print-management-tools/mib-file-downloads.