Hubs and Controllers

Hey guys. I figured with Black Friday around the corner, it’s time to upgrade my home automation setup.

Currently, I have an Elk M1 which controls a bunch of X10/Insteon switches and a thermostat through a serial connection.

I’m looking to buy a hub/controller that will allow me to directly interface with Google Home today, but in the longer term simply be used as more of a hardware bridge for OH.

The controller has to have the requisite radios of course, and I’m guessing the more the merrier so I have some flexibility to integrate different standards and get deals on stuff from different vendors. What I do NOT want is something that is cloud-dependent. Ideally, I would be able to simply replace the firmware as I have with my Asus router and Tomato, but I don’t know if that’s possible.

I’m willing to “cut the cord” with the Insteon/X10 switches if that’s what it takes, but I do need to interface with the Elk.

What hub/controller would you look for deals on knowing that I want to get up-and-running quickly but use the hardware as an interface to a dedicated server later on? Thanks in advance.

None of them. Let OH be the hub and buy one or more dongles. The performance will be better.