Hue Bridge cannot be reconnected / generate new user

Hi,

I had a working Hue-Openhab 4.0.3 setup but had to change my WLAN installation, so after that the Hue Bridge could no longer be reached by Openhab. It told me to delete the user and let it generate a new one, which I tried, but it just fails. Pressing the button on Bridge does not help either (be it a short, or 10 secs long press):

2024-03-02 12:27:18.936 [INFO ] [ue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler] - Creating new user on Hue Bridge XXX .XXX.XXX.XXX - please press the pairing button on the bridge.
2024-03-02 12:27:23.938 [WARN ] [ue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler] - Failed creating new user on Hue Bridge

org.openhab.core.i18n.CommunicationException: Total timeout 5000 ms elapsed

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.connection.HueBridge.doNetwork(HueBridge.java:1118) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.connection.HueBridge.post(HueBridge.java:1071) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.connection.HueBridge.link(HueBridge.java:898) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.connection.HueBridge.link(HueBridge.java:889) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler.createUserOnPhysicalBridge(HueBridgeHandler.java:841) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler.createUser(HueBridgeHandler.java:829) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler.onNotAuthenticated(HueBridgeHandler.java:812) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.hue.internal.handler.HueBridgeHandler$PollingRunnable.run(HueBridgeHandler.java:152) ~[?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) ~[?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) ~[?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) ~[?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) ~[?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) ~[?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) ~[?:?]

My Hue Bridge has version 1.62.1962154010.

I can switch on/off lights with the Hue app on my phone and can generate a Matter-Pairing key. I can access the bridge via Browser from my PC. I also tried to follow an old clip API tutorial to create a new user, all I get as response:

[
	{
		"error": {
			"type": 101,
			"address": "",
			"description": "link button not pressed"
		}
	}
]

Is there anything I can try to get that working again? Preferably without updating Openhab to a newer release, because the Hue Bridge is just a small part and the rest is working as before the WLAN changes (just new ip addresses for the WLAN devices).

That could mean that OH cannot physically talk to the Hue Bridge on the LAN. It means that there is NOT (yet) an issue concerning setting the API key via button press. Because there is no physical communication to even start that process. Did you check that the IP address in OH binding matches the IP address of the Hue Bridge? Try using the OH Inbox to scan for Hue Bridge devices…

EDIT: it also looks like you are trying to connect to the Hue Bridge as an API v1 thing. It might be better using API v2. I suggest i) use OH Inbox to scan for Hue Bridge devices, then ii) select the found API v2 thing, then iii) follow the process of creating an API key.

Good point with the old API version, I will try to use a API v2 bridge. Currently trying to delete the old thing but it just doesn’t get removed, but I guess it won’t hurt if v1 and v2 bridge things are around?

It will probably slow the bridge down, but it should work. (Especially if the old one isn’t talking anyway…)

Well, I was able to add the bridge via API v2 in the end but I had to force delete the v1 thing. At least everything is working again. Thank you @AndrewFG