Hue emulation stopped working, all devices are of type "various" now

Redirection rule works for me too. Controlling via Alexa app still don’t work! Thank you for your help.

There still seems to be another catch, even with my fix: Dimmers can be controlled but Alexa responds that the device does not seem to work correct. :frowning:

Hallo Phillip,
ich schreibe mal auf Deutsch. Ist einfacher für mich. Ich habe das gleiche Problem mit alexa und openhab. Anscheinend habt ihr das gelöst. Kannst du mir kurz auf Deutsch schreiben wie genau ihr das gelöst habt?
Und mit welchen Programm ihr auf openhab zugreift um dort dort die linuxbefehle abzusetzen.

Grüsse klaus

Reroute didn’t change anything. Actually the rerouterule is not applied^^

I also had the respose from Alexa App “Device is not working correctly” just after Echo did an update.(Restructered everything just 12h before) After this I managed to get at least an TP-Link HS110 back while other devices stopped working. (Which I control via openhab hue emulation locally since I’m a little bit paranoid). Worked once but was displayed as “Other” with no functionality. After removing everything as mentioned in several thread…nada… no device was discovered. Tried to change my item config from “ColorLightning” to “Switchable” to “Lightning”. Nothing changed. Openhab is reachable under /api/testuser/lights also under the request for auth users etc …

Since I remember working on my sitemaps in the middle of the night one of my Echos was doing something without beeing triggered by me I belive they pushed an update and “changed” or better lets say broke some interface.

Btw. Looked a little bit arround. Native Hue users also seems to have issues within the last 48h

Specs for my setup: Openhab running on an Odroid OS: 4.9.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.144-3 (2019-02-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux OH2 is on 2.4.0
Did no upgrades since setting this up.

Hallo Klaus,
ich habe openhab 2.4 auf einem Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server (VM, esxi) am laufen. Openhab läuft auf Port 8080, auf Port 80 und 443 lauscht ein nginx Webserver und leitet alle Anfragen intern auf Port 8080 um. Damit die Authentifizierung für lokale Anfragen auf Port 80 umgangen wird, habe ich den Hinweis von

übernommen.
Danach musst du in der PaperUI >> Configuration >> Services >> HUE Emulation >> Configure >> Device Pairing aktivieren und Alexa nochmal nach HUE Geräte (bei mir hat nur HUE V1 rund funktioniert) suchen lassen. Vorher solltest du über das Alexa Webinterface alle Geräte löschen. Nun sollten alle Geräte wieder gefundenen werden, die soltlen dann auch per Sprachbedienung gesteuert werden können. Die Bedienung der Geräte über die Alexa App funktioniert weiterhin nicht. Ich hoffe ich konnte dir damit helfen.

Hallo Philipp,

Danke für die Antwort. Ich habe mal versuchsweise eine Echo der 1 Generation wieder angeschlossen und gesagt er soll eine Gerätesuche machen. Und siehe da er hat alle Geräte gefunden und nun läuft alles wieder. Selbst in der alexa app.

Das ist schon alles manchmal sehr komisch bei Amazon.

Grüsse und Dankeschön Klaus

I have echo’s of 2nd and 3rd generation.
I tried all of them (others switched off) as result I get everytime all devices discovered.
But all as “Royal Philips Electronics Device”
and I’m not able to control or operate them - neither in the alexa app nor via voice command.
:disappointed_relieved:

What openhab version?

Although some of you have been dealing with this for a couple days, I just got infected a couple hours ago. Same symptoms as has been reported.

Before searching for a fix on this forum, I did the usual things to attempt restoring Hue emulation. But no joy.

I haven’t tried the @Mathy port redirection trick yet. I’ll wait a couple days to allow the dust to settle; Just in case Amazon is still messing around with the Echo software.

• Thomas

openHAB 2.4.0-1 stable

@BigMountainSki thanks! Was curious my emulation works on 2.5 m1 but higher does not. I believe I went to m1 due to a problem on hue emulation. It was almost a year ago so I don’t remember anymore.

same error here for a week now. deleting them and rediscovering works (works as alexa found the devices) but still voice commands wont work with message “the device doesnt work”.

edit: the workaround from @Matthy does work BUT this hopefully wont be the final solution… I’m running also another webserver on this server and dont want to change the port or even create completely new VM for it

I am having similar problems, running on OH 2.4.0 Release Build.
Alexa detects my OpenHab devices as “Various”, switching is possible via voice, but not through the device in the app.

As this was not mentioned before and might help someone: when I add the “various” devices to a room, the “on/off” switch on room level does control the devices. So there is a minimal way to influence devices through the app directly.

For the people who already have a different webserver running on port 80: You could set up an additional IP-address on your network interface and use this one for that webserver. Then redirect only the port-80-traffic of the OpenHab-IP.

I gave up and changed to openHAB alexa skill, there I was before.
I’m surprised it’s working quite fast, at least this morning.

My personal believe - that the problems came with a software update on Amazon-Alexa.
So I can’t see a fast solution to get it back working.
But I’ll stay tuned.

I am having the same issue as all of my Alexa devices show “server is unresponsive” on the Alexa app. I’ve been running a version of 2.4 for quite some time and all of a sudden my voice control via Alexa stopped working. Is switching to the new Alexa binding the only option? Is hue emulation dead?

By the way, those of you posting in German, the forum guidelines request that post be only in English as it’s the most common between all users

Thanks,

Squid :squid:

I agree. But I am hoping for a quick solution to a permanent fix. So I’m in a hold pattern, waiting a bit longer on doing anything to fix it; For now my voice control will remain offline.

The Alexa binding may indeed be our only option. My thoughts are that the Hue Emulation binding will need an update to achieve compatibility with whatever was done by those mischievous Amazon coders. If someone knows how to ping OH’s Hue Emulation developer then please do that and kindly ask for help.

• Thomas

What is the alexa binding? Do you mean the openHAB skill for alexa? I saw a few posts stating alexa binding, but confused as to what it is.

Openhab’s Amazon Alexa Smart Home Skill: openHAB Skill For Amazon Alexa | openHAB

• Thomas

There is no way that I’m start using cloud based things, beside voice recognition, for my smart home setup. My technical understanding gives me a feeling that there should be a fix possible. Device registration is working, it’s a matter of recognize the virtual devices as good as possible to the hardware specifications.

For now I don’t use voice commands.