I can not enter a rule name, because it is grayed. Why? Any hints?

I am on openhabian running version 4.2.0

I try to test an mqtt connection. There for I need to define a rule.

But I can not enter the required rule name as it is grayed.

The mqtt event looks like:

2024-01-29 00:06:04.467 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ChannelTriggeredEvent ] - mqtt:broker:96e7605a1d:Gaszaehler triggered 1201.07

I just want to extract the value and pass it to the item. I tried a few hours now, but I give up for the moment.

and the code tab is missing either.
Did you restart/cleancached already?

I am running a Testsystem of openhabian started in November updated in December.
From the very first beginning I encountered issues.
I wanted to use the test pi for finding out how to backup the system, as I lost now three times my hole system. The loss of oh3 is realy anoying, because I used the main UI for running my system and now I lost all my code, rules, graph, database etc, because I can not realy access my old drive data where everything is stored.

So I started with OH4 in November I waited until the update in December and I am not sure if I will wait for the raspian os update.

OH1 broke because of hardware issues, OH2 because of linux OS update, OH3 because of openhab update. OH1 and OH2 I used the file drive aproach. With OH3 I changed to the UI driven one, which I realy prefer. But the biggest issue here is, that I have no local copies of the code pages, yaml etc. as all this is stored within a database. Here it would be nice to have readable textfile copies on the drive. (May be they exist, but I do not know where.)

After instatlling new addons epecialy when I started create my model I encountered that I have to clean the browser cach very often or start directly in incognito mode. (With OH3 I never had this kind of issues)
If this is not working then I have to reboot the pi.

But all of this is now not working with rules. I like the OH UI, but with OH4 most is not working in the first attemp.
So if there is no solution, I will start with abrand new openhabian. Maybe the playing around with the actual version over weeks is causing this problem. (I think, that the openhabian-config does do the updates very well, but I normaly do not reboot the system afterwards. I noticed this weekend, when I installed the mosquitto, it did not work on the UI at all. But after a reboot suddently it did.)

The code Tab is there

Sad to hear that you had those problems over the last years. I decided for backup strategy which just includes OH conf and userdata directory via openHAB-cli and never had any problems. I wrote a script which reduces time to setup a fresh PiOS and over years I never had any problems. To me also because of omitting ZRAM and avoiding SD cards.
Just to encourage you to try a different backup strategy…
Sounds like some of your problems are based on corrupt SD card or corrupt config files?
I recently migrated to Pi5/bookworm. No problem at all.
Is the problem of your initial post solved as at least the code tab reappeared?

My last system was running on a 256GB ssd directly booted from the pi setuped with openhabian.

This worked fine for me. Until I did a quick apt-get update… like I did weeks and months before.
That stopped/killed the system.

Now I am changing to 16GB card + 64GB backup SD-card.

Here I will have then the recomended local image copies.
I will also usue the cli backup, and will try to copy all this regulary to a synology.

Hopefully the next big OH Update finds a way to fullfill upgrades in a save way. I am just a user I want to run my home. But I am not a linux expert, at least I am not capable to be allways in the frontline. I just want to use it.

The code tab never disapeared. It allways was there.
I have trouble with the grayed name field of the rule. It is requried, but not editable.

Crazy…
That’s why I do not use openhabian’s update procedure because I always check first which packages apt is going to upgrade.
In the screenshot above there seemed to be another problem as the code tab was not displayed correctly (label of code tab was missing). That‘s why I pointed this out.
If you add a new rule without adding trrigger or actions first, are you able to enter the name of the rule?

$OH_USERDATA/jsondb

Every time you make a change, a backup of that file is created under $OH_USERDATA/jsondb/backup.

The files are in a human readable JSON format.

There is a known issue with Firefox and how it does caching. There is a fix in work but I don’t think it’s been merged and released yet. OH 4 added some caching capabilities to improve the performance of MainUI.

Do you see any errors in the log?

Can you capture in separate screen shots or as an animated gif the steps you take to create the rule?

Have you tried clicking in the field and entering the name? Keep in mind that the “Required” is always grayed out like that. That doesn’t necessarily mean you cannot click on it an type in the name you want. It’s grayed out not to indicated it cannot be edited, but to indicate that the field has no value. The “Name” is not “Required”.

Hello,

no I can not edit the name either the description fields.

Yes I am using firefox as browser.
I just tested it with the edge browser as well, but I got the same result.

On both cases, when I try to save I get the pop up window, telling me that I have to give a name.

$OH_USERDATA/jsondb

Every time you make a change, a backup of that file is created under $OH_USERDATA/jsondb/backup.

Thank you for that tip, I will mount my ssd to see if I can find that. This would shorten my time to be back online shortly again.

Can you capture in separate screen shots or as an animated gif the steps you take to create the rule?

There is not much to tell. I go to the empty rules page.

and click there “+” sign. Then I have a new rule, where I can not enter the name, nor I can save it.

In the openhab logviewer I can see no errors. It has never be so clean before.
I only get warning during the startup. After that nothing at all.

2024-01-29 22:50:00.201 [INFO ] [org.openhab.core.Activator          ] - Starting openHAB 4.2.0 (Build #3865)

2024-01-29 22:50:00.833 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Berlin'.

2024-01-29 22:50:00.851 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Location set to '49.291860523622546,8.51556032896042'.

2024-01-29 22:50:00.852 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Locale set to 'de_DE'.

2024-01-29 22:50:00.854 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Measurement system set to 'SI'.

2024-01-29 22:50:02.000 [WARN ] [.transport.servlet.ServletController] - Can't find the request for http://hab4:8080/rest/events/states's Observer 

2024-01-29 22:50:04.127 [WARN ] [.transport.servlet.ServletController] - Can't find the request for http://hab4:8080/rest/events/states's Observer 

2024-01-29 22:50:15.588 [INFO ] [.core.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007

2024-01-29 22:50:16.659 [WARN ] [ty.util.ssl.SslContextFactory.config] - Trusting all certificates configured for Client@11afbe3[provider=null,keyStore=null,trustStore=null]

2024-01-29 22:50:16.660 [WARN ] [ty.util.ssl.SslContextFactory.config] - No Client EndPointIdentificationAlgorithm configured for Client@11afbe3[provider=null,keyStore=null,trustStore=null]

2024-01-29 22:50:19.087 [INFO ] [.influxdb.InfluxDBPersistenceService] - InfluxDB persistence service started.

2024-01-29 22:50:22.731 [INFO ] [.transport.mqtt.MqttBrokerConnection] - Starting MQTT broker connection to '192.168.1.205' with clientid aa6f5612-d865-419c-8646-d34a0b311e4f

2024-01-29 22:50:26.400 [INFO ] [e.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule engine started.

But don’t worry I will start scratch new and it will not be the last time, as first the backups have to work. Maybe this issue here then diapears.

But did you try to click on the word “Required” and enter a name? Don’t assume it’s uneditable just because the word is grayed out.

rulename

It indeed won’t let you save it until you give is a name.

I tried to click the fields (Name, Description) with the left mousebutton. Both do not react.

The annimation you send me is what I also would expect. But no reaction at all on my clicks, I tried also to use the TAB, but no focus to see.

Maybe I have not enough right. I have only an “Adminstrator” account.

May be I miss some security settings.

This looks like a browser issue. Have you tried a different browser? There really is nothing on the server side you can do to make these fields not editable or even clickable. There is no setting, configuration, or anything else like that.

Well I tried the edge browser as well. But same result.

Let me make a new install then we will see.

With this version now, I can enter a rule name.

###############################################################################
###############  hab4  ########################################################
##        Ip = 192.168.1.xx
##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
##    Kernel = Linux 6.1.21-v8+
##  Platform = Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
##    Uptime = 16 day(s). 02:47:24
## CPU Usage = 1.9% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
##  CPU Load = 1m: 0.17, 5m: 0.14, 15m: 0.05
##    Memory = Free: 4.43GB (58%), Used: 3.24GB (42%), Total: 7.67GB
##      Swap = Free: 2.99GB (100%), Used: 0.00GB (0%), Total: 2.99GB
##      Root = Free: 218.76GB (97%), Used: 6.05GB (3%), Total: 234.37GB
##   Updates = 21 apt updates available.
##  Sessions = 1 session(s)
## Processes = 136 running processes of 32768 maximum processes

_   _     _     ____   _
  ___   ___   ___   ___  | | | |   / \   | __ ) (_)  ____   ___
 / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ | |_| |  / _ \  |  _ \ | | / _  \ / _ \
| (_) | (_) |  __/| | | ||  _  | / ___ \ | |_) )| || (_) || | | |
 \___/|  __/ \___/|_| |_||_| |_|/_/   \_\|____/ |_| \__|_||_| | |
      |_|                  openHAB 4.2.0-SNAPSHOT - Build #3919