I don't know if you guys heard, but OpenHab works pretty good with iOS's HomeKit

Of curse, I have been following it since day one, but I’m not ready to jump ship to oh2 yet.

Hi Kai,

very great News for Christmas. Thank you very much for your work on openHAB!

Regards,
Heiko

1 Like

FWIW, I fixed a small bug in homebridge-openhab that prevented it from working correctly if you had full username/password authentication enabled, especially with passwords containing ‘interesting’ characters.

1 Like

Can I just echo the comments above, in particular (1) this is awesome; (2) for someone with only moderate familiarity with Linux etc, the homebridge+plugin solution is way easier than building OpenHAB-HomeKit-Bridge.

Also, once you have it set up, the free Elgato Eve app works really well for controlling everything. So far as I can see, the basic bridge requires you to command Siri in the format “turn XXX on”, but Eve lets you set up scenes where saying pretty much anything will turn any devices on or off. You just have to watch clashes with Siri’s own functions, so for example anything involving the word “alarm” won’t work, as Siri thinks you’re trying to control the iphone’s alarms.

Dan

I have also setup homebridge and openhab plugin on my Raspberry. There were some hints about config.json - it wasn’t created automatically and no hint where it should be, but I managed to create it.
First free app - Insteon, worked just well. It also has scenes setup.
Siri is working also, but I need to find some help about correct setup of items and controls. For example I have created Kitchen room and I have assigned only one Item with name “Light” to it. But when I say “Turn off the light in kitchen” (in russian), Siri asks for confirmation if I really want to turn ALL lights in the kitchen. This is annoying and the only workaround to get it to single command is to create a scene. Any hints what to say?
Another drawback/bug/feature - sometimes I say “Open/Close Rollershutter” instead of “Rise up/down Rollershutter”(again in russian). Second phrase is correctly recognized by Siri and it does, what it should. But for first phrase it says, there is no item. So here I also look for solution other than scenes programming.

Another question - I made Homebridge to start as a service on boot using systemd. https://gist.github.com/johannrichard/0ad0de1feb6adb9eb61a/
But the problem is that on start it fails to connect to Openhab, logically because the last seems to be not running yet. So question - does anyone know how to make Homebridge service to start later on boot, after Openhab started it’s interfaces?

@Artyom_Syomushkin I’ve solved this by not making the actual Homebridge start at boot, but it’s being called by the openhab start script. I’m at work now and my home internet is offline, but I can post the changes when I get home, if you need them.

Edit: here is my change

case "$1" in start) log_daemon_msg "Starting $DESC" do_start sleep 1m sudo /home/osmc/homebridge.sh start case "$?" in 0|1) log_end_msg 0 ;; 2) log_end_msg 1 ;; esac ;; stop) log_daemon_msg "Stopping $DESC" do_stop sudo /home/osmc/homebridge.sh stop case "$?" in 0|1) log_end_msg 0 ;; 2) log_end_msg 1 ;; esac ;;

Did anyone, using homebridge, meet with a problem, that when your iphone was laying for a while and then you take it and say somthing like “open Jalousie in childrensroom”, Siri responds, that device is not found. But when you say exactly same phrase second time couple of seconds later - it works.
I’ve noticed this after I started to add more devices to sitemap I used for Homekit and setup More Rooms using Insteon app.

Would anyone be so kind and provide a config example for rollershutters?
I can’t seem to find one in the documentation nor in the examples on the github.

Thanks!

I also find this to happen occasionally. I assumed it was due to the home bridge app needing loading or something. Would be good to understand this as otherwise, this is a fantastic addition to openhab.

Yes, same for me

same happens with amazon echo…

Thats interesting…

with hueemulation. …sorry…

Hi, does anyone have their home bridge working with Fibaro RGBW controller? I can map individual colours but cant get it to set the colour based on the colour wheel.

Hi All,

Does anyone know if these tutorials nfarina/homebridge and the tommasomarchionni/homebridge-openHAB can be followed having Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy) on Raspberry Pi 2? I’m afraid not to make more mess than i have already done on my Raspbberry :slight_smile:
What is the difference or how to choose between Openhab-homekit-bridge and homekit bridge … this is very confusing for someone who read already a lot of comments/topics related to this in which many people where complaining of different bugs/issues/non working tutorials!

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, I was able to get it to work with help of the second tutorial. One important part not mentioned there is that on Raspbian wheezy the GCC compilers are too old to install homebridge. https://community.thinger.io/t/starting-with-the-raspberry-pi/36 describes a trick how to upgrade the compiler to the version shipped with jessie.

As far as I know Openhab-homekit-bridge and homekit bridge are both external applications that run on the NodeJS platform and connect to OpenHab via the REST API. The first one is a program based on a library while the second one is a plugin for the homebridge application. It looks like Openhab-homekit-bridge needs less initial extra configuration while homekit bridge gives you more control.

This is also happening for me (where the openhab homekit kinda falls asleep), which basically makes the siri commands kinda useless. its driving me mad. does anyone have a fix for this?

The biggest bummer is that it works SO WELL otherwise. If it could just stay awake!

@Branden_Smale, @alex_bartis, @shamim, and @Artyom_Syomushkin - Question, is anyone having this issue but running on a Linux-based system? I’m running on a Mac. What are you folks running?

I’m running it on Ubuntu (VM on Esxi). Can’t say I’ve had that particular issue (fingers crossed). I occasionally lose the pairing but otherwise when it’s working it’s rock solid

interesting. mine goes out, without fail, after like 5 or 10 minutes. I call Siri once, it doesn’t work. I can’t Siri 1 second later, works perfectly.