I really hate openhab

Edit: New phone and haven’t figured out the keyboard yet. Corrected the many autcorrect errors. I swear I did edit it, I just suck as an editor.

Well, 2.x has been out for something like five years but oh 3 hasn’t even been released yet. How could it possibly have the same quality docs? But please by all means contribute. There are at least two threads of wiki pages to get some movement on building docs. They need contrabutions. I can do only so much. Yannick needs to be spending his time fixing stuff in main ui.

I hate to see people struggle but I really hate to see people struggle, refuse to ask for help, then complain about it being too hard.

I don’t know Insteon but I do know openHAB. Settings are not cached. Cleaning the cache isn’t going to change anything. If it’s a 1.x binding, all the settings are in /etc/openhab2/services/insteon.cfg. There was a bug that I think got fixed but maybe not. That file gets loaded and transferred to /var/lib/openHAB/config/org/openhab/insteon.conf. The bug was when you deleted a section from the cfg file it didn’t get deleted from conf file.

If it’s a 2.x binding everything is configured through Things. Delete the Thing and the setting goes away.

The only horror story with deleting the cache is needing to wait for oh to finish booting and if it complains of missing items, restart oh once more.

There is nothing configuration related in the cache. Cache is where the installed binding’s jar files are downloaded to and stuff like that.

2 Likes

And at the risk of sounding cocky, since we’re revealing our age - as much as I’m in my sweet spot designing these UIs and seeing them come to life, I’ll confess spending hours and hours churning out Javascript as a 38-year-old with a MSc-equivalent degree… doesn’t always seem like the best use of my time :wink: But someone’s gotta do it, I suppose, and I don’t mind, as long as I get satisfaction out of it.

Was sent this article just yesterday - there’s a lot of truth in it, you should check it out:

12 Likes

Pro tip. Don’t give unwanted tips unless you’re a pro on the matter and help people with your tip rather than annoy them.

Another pro tip. Start from scratch to have a well-defined starting point.
To install openHABian and import your existing OH config should just take an hour.
Yes you should have asked way earlier.

How could it possibly have the same quality docs? But please by all means contribute. there are at least two threads of wiki pages to get some movement on building docs. They need contrabutions.I can do only so much. Yannick need to be spending guys time fixing stuff in main ui.

The "new website, linked in OH3 has no useful docs. The wiki is not official documentation but it is a good starting place.

Between being busy IRL and my work with Z-Wave I am trying to work in time to wrap my old slow head around the new UI myself. I am admittedly not much of a website designer and do not have the time to figure out how to move stuff from the wiki pages to the website where users (especially new users) should look.

I have just filed my second bug issue for remoteopenhab, so I AM contributing, just not in obvious ways.

Th wiki is where we are collaboratively building the content that will become the docs.

That’s not your job. We need content. And we are using wiki forum posts so that it’s easier for anyone to contribute to adding that content without dealing with the github stuff. The very thing you are complaining about is a deliberate choice to make it easier for you and users like you to contribute. We’ll move the content to the docs when they are ready.

Rather than just complain about the docs sucking, even just going to the wiki pages and adding comments like “this isn’t clear” and “please address X here” is helpful.

1 Like

I am still trying to digest them myself. The documentation links in the program itself link to no useful OH3 information. That is not a good user experience IMO.

nothing like a good rant :laughing:

1 Like

Please file issues when you encounter such a link.

I think it is intentionally pointed to next.openhab.org. The content is not (yet) there and I am sure the developers are aware of that.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.