IKEA Tradfri VINDSTYRKA no PM2.5 channel [zigbee]

IKEA last year released new air quality sensor (temperature, humidity, pm2.5, tvoc). I was able to pair it and add (I’m using openhab 3.4.3), but channels reported are only two: ‘temperature’ and ‘humidity’

No PM2.5 nor tvoc channels.

Any help about pm2.5 ? is it some error on my side, or binding or maybe firmware of the sensor?

p.s. home assistant thread: IKEA VINDSTYRKA Zigbee Air quality sensor - #3 by donny007x - Hardware - Home Assistant Community

1 Like

I can’t help you with the Zigbee binding, but it looks like this might work with Zigbee2mqtt.

Thanks.

Looking for the HA discussion, the sensor DO provide pm25 readings, howeber in OPENHAB zigbee binding the channel is not present :frowning:

at least in 3.4.3 version.

@chris can you advice here?

I have noticed recently on several Zigbee devices that Channels are not found by OH. I recently added Inovelli switches to OH and only 4-5 channels were found. These switches are very versatile with a lot of functionality and configuration options. Using HA something on the order of 25 “Channels” were identified. I actually ended up using HA to configure these devices then added them to OH. Not sure why OH isn’t seeing the channels though.

I have heard that using Zigbee2MQTT gets around the missing channel issue with OH, but it does add another layer of complexity.

From a very quick look, the device is using manufacturer specific cluster/attributes for this information, so it won’t be detected by the binding (since the binding doesn’t know about stuff that a manufacturer invents themselves).

The good news though is that other than the attributes being non-standard, unlike many Chinese devices, this does seem to follow the cluster library standards, so this should be relatively easy to add.

There are two files that will need to be added/changed in the binding. Firstly, a thing definition file needs to be created for the device that defines the attributes - you should be able to get this from the link you provided above and I’ll link to an example file in the binding below. Secondly, we need to then define this in a discovery file so the binding knows to use the thing file rather than search for attributes.

Example thing definition file here.
Link to the discovery file here.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you really get lost I can try and find some time to add this, but hopefully it’s reasonably traight foward and you can provide a PR for this device.

Chris

2 Likes