Implementation of a multisensor data acquisition system based on openhab

i’m trying to make a multi-sensor wireless data acquisition system . i’m using raspberry Pi 3 B+ as a data server with openhab2 in the center of my system .

i’m using some sensors that are compatible with tasmota firmware with the esp8266 wifi module for measuring some physical properties such as voltage , current , temperature , humidity , etc .

i have some questions before getting started with carrying out my system , as any data acquisition system have some fixed features that have to be taken into account :
1- data storage
how could i store data in openhab ?

2- data visualization
does openhab have an effective data visualization interface that could be used in scientific or commercial applications such as real-time graph plotting ?

3- data analysis
does openhab have any analysing tools for data ?

thanks

Consider openHAB as a smart home framework. Be sure to read the documentation.

You obviously did not read about persistence, or perhaps I am misunderstanding the question.

Again, some have included graphical interfaces such as Grafana but openHAB is not designed for scientific or commercial applications.

I would say it does not because it is not a tool designed to meet your apparent needs.

i know that , but does this prevent using openhab for other applications ?!

i mean if i’m using a temperature sensor for example to measure temperatures every minute through a complete day , is there any way for storing these measurments in order to make any use of it later ?

why you completely deny the ability or the Possibility for using openhab for that application ? all i want is to send data through wifi , this is what openhab exactly do . the other functions such as graphical interfaces or data analysis could be realized using other helping components or technologies that could be integrated to the system .

rrd4j likely but that is an addon. Again, that is a purpose of the persistence choices.

I am not denying it but saying you need to do your research first and possibly there are better suited solutions.

We are not a solution provider but a group of volunteers who help others make their solutions work.

You are right , there may be more suitable solutions . But , this work is for my master’s thesis and i have a little time to finish it . I have a pre-knwoledge about openhab so i preferred to use it . Do you see that this is a completely wrong path , or it could be good when carried out ?

Given OH 2.5:

1. Look at the Persistence Docs and the list of Persistence Addons. For sensor data like that a time series database like InfluxDB would be a good choice.

2. Grafana works well with InfluxDB and MySQL. OH has limited charting ability built in and HABPanel has more.

3. No. It has very limited query ability and you have to write code to do it.

All things considered, openHAB is probably way over kill for you. All you need is something that bridges between your sensors and your database. And that’s pretty much all OH is going to provide for you. All you storage, analysis, and graphing is going to take place outside of OH.

No but it likely makes it unsuitable for these other applications.

I try to be nice about these sorts of things but the very first sentence of the Persistence docs states:

openHAB can store data over time; this is known as persistence. The data may be retrieved at a later time, for example to restore your system after startup, or to prepare graphs for display on a UI.

People use OH for all sorts of stuff. But in this case all OH will be providing is a bridge between your sensors and your database. Given how hard OH can be for some users to set up and use, and how heavy weight it is, perhaps something more light weight or custom hacked together using Python would be a better fit for the purpose.

1 Like