Include Window contacts

Hi,

My windows have integrated switches that indicate its status (open, closed). Currently there is no interface installed to analyze the status of the windows (so I only have the bare wires).

Do you have any recommendations for a window interface for approx. 15 windows? Of course it should be also compatible with openHAB…

Thank you!
Daniel

Some more details on your windows would ber very welcome.

Guessing these are a leftover from a previous intruder alarm system? beware that there may be resistors in circuit i.e. not simple switches.

One way to reinvogorate them might be to install a new intruder alarm central unit, that openHAB can communicate with.

1 Like

Actually, these are new windows. As far as I am aware really only reed switches have been installed and the wires terminate in my cellar. I just had them installed without installing an alarm system yet.

A small PLC or a few ESP32 devices may work, depending on the distance and other electrical interference.

Any hints for a less DIY solution. At least with components already prebuild?

Ethernet

USB

Thank you, you brought me on the right track: I found this as well, it explicitly mentions openHAB support (using SNMP):

I am not yet sure what to order.

Why could you not use a simple zwave door/window sensor? Most of them have connect for external sensors.

Yeh but not sixteen of them …

It would perhaps be possible to group the window switches in wiring, say by room, to reduce the I/O requirement.

Hello,

to close the subject. I have now shot a NodeMCU from Ebay and connected my window sensors via an MCP23017 (Port Extender) via I2C.
The NodeMCU then simply sends a message via MQTT whether the contact is conducting or not.
In case someone has a similar problem, please just let me know, then I will gladly send the source code and hints for the cabling.

Daniel

1 Like