Initial planning zwave in a long home

Hi all I just found IT mod week and have been reading guides and trying to learn how everything works.

I have been following home automation for a few years and I think it’s time to jump in. I have never coded but have an interest so I thought OH would be something fun to tinker with.

Now for my question: my current home is pretty large. The house plus detached garage are around 200 ft long and 3 floors. Late last year I installed a unifi network with a couple APs. Service is now great over Wi-Fi l, I will add an additional AP at some point for the garage but service is there just not excellent. All that being said, I am looking at a way to add zwave to the main floor. I want to put the OH hub in the basement network room and distribute from there. I’d have to put in a fair number or nodes to get service from one end of the property to the other are there and best approaches here? I have seen the pros and cons of network functionality of zwave vs Wi-Fi but is the investment in zwave plug nodes gonna pay off? At this point I have zero devices so I am looking at a decent amount of buying to get started.

Any input is appreciated. I know implementation will tell the full story, just trying to get expectations in line up front.

Thanks
Jared

Hi, I just opened a similar ZWAVE repeater question - have a look, there is a discussion already ongoing

I initially read a few of those I’ll check that out as well.

Thanks
Jared

sorry tried to copy the link but this was just one piece of it

Not responsive to your zwave question, but…

Since you’re using Unifi APs, if you want a good solution for presence detection, you should consider the Unifi binding as part of your overall solution.

Thanks alot sir. I’ll go ahead and install OH2 and start figuring out how it works. So many possibilities here.

Thanks
Jared

I found it via your profile. Good info there.

Thanks

so long as you have hard wired z-wave nodes within range of each other you should see good results. I’m using mostly Aeotec equipment myself with a z-wave stick in the basements. from there it hops from the laundry room switch next door and from there up a floor to a foyer switch. I have 10 units so far with some of them a good ways (50? 75? feet) from the stick in the basement and they all show direct connection to the stick.

As you’ve probably read by now z-wave uses a mesh network so anything that doesn’t reach directly back to the controller (stick or whatever you choose) will bounce through another device. I’ve had very good luck with aeotec nano modules and micro modules. These allow you to keep your existing switchgear and work in conjunction with what you already have (2, 3, 4 way switches, dimming, etc).

good luck

That is what I saw and I may just give it a try, I have been installing and playing all day with the ecobee config. Gonna be a learning curve here haha. I dont have any zwave devices yet but I’ll grab a few to mess around with.

Thanks
Jared

I’ve been using the ecobee binding for a while. It’s a bit of work to get it set up. Just post if you’re running into issues.

1 Like

I appreciate the offer but I am not familiar enough with everything right now to ask decent questions. In a few days I’ll prob be able to have an intelligent discussion. I also may have to start with something easier until I learn how all the pieces fit together.