Install OpenHAB on RaspBerry

Hello,

I’m new with openHAB.
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 model B, SDcard 64 Gb 3 A2.
I have followed the different steps on Download openHAB | openHAB (option 1).
After that I have plugged the RPI (nethwork (RJ45) and main (USB-C).
After waiting 1 hour, I can’t connect to the application (http://[IP address]:8080). But I can connect to it by SSH (with origin credentials).

Anybody can help me to install correctly openHAB on my RPI to access via http ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gvals.

See openHABian | openHAB for detailed troubleshooting instructions.

I had to reinstall the system last week due to failed USB stick and I can confirm that the downloaded openhabian does not work “out of the box”.

Long story short, I decided to clean up my installation that is usually working on SSD and I wanted to install USB from the beginning with as less possible garbage that I collected on my SSD during the years, but the whole storey got delayed so I was running my openhab from that USB and it failed in the mean time, before I managed to transfer the USB to the SSD.

There were some problems with the Java package and I had to install that one manually. This could be done via openhabian-config.

Also I noticed that there were problems with the date/time of the new installation, it didn’t update automatically so I had to set it manually.
The time was way off and the update was not functioning.

Also I found the hard way that it is not possible to restore backup from older version to a new one. Luckily most of my settings are in text format so I could recycle them

I’m sorry to hear openhabian has been a struggle for you - it’s been really smooth for me. I just installed openhabian on a Pi 4 without any trouble. Haven’t had any weird issues that weren’t of my own making.

I used the Raspberry Pi Imager from rasberrypi.com, selecting openhabian from the list and letting it fetch and download the image. Did you use that tool or download and write the image yourself?

You talk about SSD and USB - what media are you running? If you’re booting off a USB drive or running a USB SSD then it might not be as smooth - I’m just using the default microsd card, because it’s easy, and because it’s well-supported. Making a backup is trivial and I do that regularly so don’t worry about card wear.

Per the instructions

To put it straight: we don’t recommend SSDs and do not support attaching an SSD and move the system over there. If you know Linux well enough to manually apply all the required modifications, feel free to do so but please be aware that this is a completely untested option that may work or not and what’s even more important: it is unsupported. Don’t ask for help if you run into trouble. Also remember that any future changes to openHABian (which is what you get when you upgrade as you are recommended to do on every start of the openhabian-config tool) can interfere with any such modification of yours so while any such mod may work for the time being you apply it, it may break your box and openHAB experience anytime in the future.

Running with openHABian off of an SSD or USB drive is an unsupported configuration that is not guaranteed to work.

Did you file an issue? This should work out of the box, but it’s not clear how much additional customization of openHABian you’ve done which could confuse matters.

1 Like

I actually downloaded the file from github and used the Raspberry Pi imager to write the image. Apparently I had older version of the imager and it was not able to fetch the openhabian directly. I had another SSD spare so after update of the imager I tried your way today and it failed again.
The problem was again that the Java failed to install.
So, I started digging a bit and I remembered that I had a firewall rule to route all NTP traffic to my local NTP server that failed, so the time was not updated properly. The JAVA install failed because the time on the openhabian was way off and the certificate was not yet valid.

2022-09-22_02:33:51_CEST [openHABian] Beginning install of latest openhab release (stable)... OK
2022-09-22_02:33:51_CEST [openHABian] Adding required keys to apt... curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: certificate is not yet valid
More details here: https://curl.se/docs/sslcerts.html

After allowing the NTP through my firewall, I burned the image again and started the process again. It went through without me noticing any error.

I can confirm it works flawlessly. I have been using it like that for more than 2 years. I decided to go to that route since I had few Raspberries with damaged SD cards in the past. I didn’t regret so far.

No but not needed. See above, the problems were because of the blocked NTP traffic.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you can SSH into the Pi but not via http://openhab:8080?

Try running ‘sudo systemctl status openhab.service’ (I would type as far as openhab and then hit the tab to make sure you select the right service). That should tell you that OH is running, or you could send ‘sudo systemctl restart openhab.service’ in case it didn’t load properly at boot.

I would also ssh in on another terminal window and type ‘tail -f /var/log/openhab/events.log /var/log/openhab/openhab.log’ to see the logs. Starting the log view before restarting the service is also a good check to see if/where OH gets stuck.

Thanks alaskamike.

I followed you intructions. after the last one, I can see :slight_smile:
openhabian@openhabian:~ $ tail -f /var/log/openhab/events.log /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
==> /var/log/openhab/events.log <==

==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.openhab.core.ui.internal.UIActivator cannot be found by org.openhab.core.ui_3.4.2
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.generateException(BundleLoader.java:529) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass0(BundleLoader.java:524) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:416) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.loadBundleActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:795) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:748) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.17.200.jar:?]
… 13 more