Installation on Synology NAS to USB stick mount point possible to make hibernation work?

Hi all,

I have successfully installed OpenHAB 2 on my Synology NAS DS215j (DSM 6.2). However, since there is permanent logging activity, the hard disk hibernation feature no longer works while OpenHAB is running.

Thus, I was thinking about deploying OpenHAB 2 on a USB stick (/usbshare2 public folder mountpoint). However, the installation routine only allows to select folders on the hard disk (and I cannot remap /SmartHome to the USB drive via the DSM UI). Is it somehow possible to at least redirect logging activity to the USB drive mount point so that the hibernation feature works again?

Yes, there are a few many threads about this:
For example, this one explain about the logging configuration.
You can change the logging location in there

Thanks for the info!

In my org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg file, there is a variable ${openhab.logdir}. Is it possible to change that variable where it is defined?

Do you think it should be sufficient to make OH2 stop accessing the hard drive and thus preventing hibernation by just reassigning the logdir to a USB stick? I mean, there may only be write accesses to the logs, but it seems that OH2 is pretty much permanently monitoring its config files e.g. to look for new thing definitions. Will these read accesses be served from a cache so that the hard drives do not spin up? If not, it would probably be better to move the entire installation to the USB stick. What do you think?

You can replace the variable name by the location you want:

log4j2.appender.out.fileName = /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log
log4j2.appender.out.filePattern = /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log.%i

I don’t know

I would use an SSD instead of a USB stick. More reliable and less prone to NAND gate corruption.

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m new to openHAB and looking out to find a solution to make the harddisk hibernation feature work again. I red about tmpfs or USB sticks right now, but never found something like a howto for less experienced people, which enables me to solve that. Do you guys know a source for such info??

Many thanks

Stammheim