Installing a Aeon Z-Wave stick and having problems? Try this

Running Ubuntu and can’t get your Aeon Z-Wave stick to work? These are the things that helped me find where my stick is on the system, ensure they’re configured properly, and then resolve the issues. If these don’t solve your problem, it’ll at least eliminate a number of questions that will be asked when you post to the forums for help.

Thanks to @ocb73 and @Eddiie for helping me solve my issues, hopefully this writeup of things to check/change in one place will be helpful to other noobs.

If you can see that your stick is connected when you execute

ls usb

but openhab still isn’t able to connect?

First, let’s get the logging up so you can see what’s happening. Open a terminal window and run this command and then just let it go. This will stream the log as it comes in and show you what’s happening. Each time you restart the server it’ll log all the steps it goes through in order to ‘boot’

tail -f /var/log/openhab/openhab.log

Let’s start by finding out where the USB is located, run this command with it inserted and once without:

ls /dev/tty*

Compare the results and you’ll see which entry is missing when you remove the stick. That’s where your USB is being recognized. Now, let’s check the openhab.cfg file to ensure you have it set up properly

zwave:port=/dev/(your port here)

If you have to make changes, restart the server so that it’ll pick up the change. Monitor that terminal window with the log file running, look for the z-wave binding events. If everything’s connecting now, then you’re good to go. Still having problems? Continue on…

Have you run the dialout command to give dialout permissions to the openhab user?

sudo usermod -a -G dialout openhab

Make sure you reboot the whole machine at this point, not just the openhab server.

Check the results by running:

ls –la /dev/(your port here)

You should get something like this:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 166, 0 Jan 27 23:05 /dev/ttyACM0

If you want to double check that openhab was added to the dialout group, run this:

groups openhab

You should get a result like this:

openhab: openhab tty dialout

If you are still not getting connectivity to your USB stick, then we need to find two files and your favorite text editor to enter some configuration information.

Add this the following line to /etc/init.d/openhab and to /usr/share/openhab/bin/openhab.sh
"-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/(your port here) "
right after “-Dosgi.noShutdown=true”

Then restart your openhab server. Check that running log window to see if the problem is resolved.