Insteon 2413U got no such port for COM1

I have been fiddling with this for quite a while now and have read most of the related issues related to this problem that others have encountered but nothing I have tried so far has worked.
I downloaded and installed a new 1.7.1 installation and only copied the Insteon PLM binding to my add-ons file.

I get the following error messages when I runs start.bat:

[ERROR] [.o.b.i.i.driver.SerialIOStream] - got no such port for COM1 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM1)
[ERROR] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - initialization complete, but found no ports!

I have tried the following tests:
I checked that COM1 is connected to the PLM, changed the COM port and rechecked and loaded a few different drivers. - same errors
Checked that HouseLinc is not running.
Installed on 2 different computers one running Windows 7 the other running Windows 10 - same errors on both

The PLM works fine with HouseLinc and IonW-PLM.
The PLM also works fine when I drive it with a terminal program (RealTerm)
Transmitting 0x02 0x60 Receives 02 60 14 23 38 03 15 9B 06 (hex) which is a valid error free response.

Any ideas on how I can debug this? Thanks for any help.

I don’t run on Windows, but two suggestions:

  1. use the latest InsteonPLM 1.8 from cloudbees. It should drop in with 1.7.
  2. switch on debug logging and post relevant log section.

Hi Bernd, thank you for the quick response.
1- I tried using the latest InsteonPLM 1.8 from cloudbees - same problem
2- Below is a copy of my Debug Log, this computer is using COM5:
08:28:05.814 [INFO ] [.service.AbstractActiveService:169 ] - InsteonPLM has been started
08:28:05.814 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:361 ] - config: port_0 -> COM5 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM5)
08:28:05.814 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:603 ] - devices: 0 configured, 0 polling, msgs received: 0
08:28:05.814 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Poller:176 ] - starting poll thread.
08:28:05.830 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Driver:75 ] - added new port: port_0 COM5 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM5)
08:28:05.830 [INFO ] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:361 ] - config: -> org.openhab.insteonplm
08:28:05.830 [DEBUG] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:367 ] - setting driver listener
08:28:05.830 [DEBUG] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:369 ] - starting 0 ports
08:28:05.830 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port :132 ] - starting port COM5 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM5)
08:28:07.345 [ERROR] [.o.b.i.i.driver.SerialIOStream:76 ] - got no such port for COM5 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM5)
08:28:07.345 [DEBUG] [o.o.b.i.internal.driver.Port :137 ] - failed to open port COM5 (Windows, with serial/usb modem on COM5)
08:28:07.345 [DEBUG] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:371 ] - ports started
08:28:07.345 [ERROR] [.o.b.i.InsteonPLMActiveBinding:374 ] - initialization complete, but found no ports!

I should add that at one point I did try this PLM on a Rasperry Pi and got a similar Serial Port error. I am reallly not comfortable using Linux so abandoned my debugging efforts fairly quickly. After re-reading a number of similar posts in particular one titled “InsteonPLN on raspberry pi” I am starting to think this is an issue with my particular PLM version. I took my PLM apart and it contains an FTDI FT232RL part. The PLM reports software version 9B and on the outside of the PLM it says 2413U V1.B 1320. It was purchased about 2 years ago.

I am about ready to give up on this PLM but what would you suggest I buy instead?

Before giving up on the PLM, try fixing your config line to this:


The rest of the line in openhab_default.cfg is just comment, you need to remove that!
I think you are now the second user who ran into this issue, I should fix the openhab_default.cfg and expend an extra line for the comment.

That seems to have solved the problem. I think I tried everything else and invested hours of work, I don’t know why it never occurred to me to try removing the comment.
There seem to be a few people that have had similar issues, I wonder how many others had the same root cause.
Thank you so much for solving this for me. Now I can get on to the real issue which is integrating the heat pump controller I made into openHAB.