Insteon binding basic setup can't control led or on/off module

I have openHab2 running on RPi3 with openhabianpi. I setup the InsteonPLM binding and connected to the HUB. The log looks good and the linked devices were loaded from the database. But, with very basic items and site map, I can’t make a simple on/off module or led bulb work.

Here’s my items, sitemap and log snippet.

Items
Switch ledbulb1 “Living Room Light” {insteonplm=“32.C5.70:F00.00.13#fastonoff”}
Switch outlet1 “Kichen Light” {insteonplm=“2C.F3.BE:F00.00.1B#switch”}

Sitemap
sitemap insteonplm label=“Insteon”
{
Frame label=“Lights” {
Switch item=ledbulb1 label=“Living Room Light” mappings=[faston=On,fastoff=Off]
Switch item=outlet1 label=“Kitchen Light” icon=“light” mappings=[ON=On,OFF=Off]
}
}

Log

2017-10-11 19:03:03.770 [WARN ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at 'items/ledbulb1' with an invalid status value 'faston'.
2017-10-11 19:03:08.618 [WARN ] [thome.io.rest.core.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at 'items/ledbulb1' with an invalid status value 'fastoff'.
2017-10-11 19:03:30.069 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'outlet1' received command ON
2017-10-11 19:03:30.071 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - outlet1 changed from OFF to ON
2017-10-11 19:03:35.571 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'outlet1' received command OFF
2017-10-11 19:03:35.577 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - outlet1 changed from ON to OFF

Is there a reference anywhere for entering Insteon items?

For the LED bulb, I’ve tried commands: on, off, faston, fastoff, 0, 100, etc
All result invalid.

For the on/off module, it looks like the command is valid, but does not switch.

This should be easier and the docs need to be clearer.

Thanks for help.

This works just fine for me:

Items:

Dimmer mKitchenLamp         "Kitchen Lamp" {insteonplm="21.F6.AF:F00.00.13#dimmer"}

I don’t have any sort of mappings in the sitemap.

If you have suggestions on how to make the documentation easier and clearer, please update the docs.

1 Like

Thanks Rob! I will try out later tonight. I understand this is open source and community driven. Meant no disrespect and fully appreciate all that is done here.

Gary

I changed my item to be

Dimmer ledbulb1 "Living Room Light" {insteonplm="32.C5.70:F00.00.13#dimmer"}

Still see this in logs

Received HTTP POST request at 'items/ledbulb1' with an invalid status value 'faston'.

Also tried on/off commands in sitemap with same result.

Switch item=ledbulb1 label="Living Room Light" mappings=[faston=On,fastoff=Off]

Any suggestions what to try next? Just wanting to config something that triggers Insteon device to atially turn on/off.

THX!

Hey Gary:

I think I would go super simple to start:

Your item(s) look good to me (although I have no controllable LEDs). You should probably make an items file with ONLY the following in it:

// Simple Items file
Switch outlet1 "Kichen Light" {insteonplm="2C.F3.BE:F00.00.1B#switch"}

I’m not sure what you are trying to do with the mappings but I think that is throwing your error. I’d remove it for testing. It could also be that you are using the name of your sitemap as “insteonplm” which might be a reserved word or something.

Then for a super simple sitemap I’d make one with ONLY the following:

Sitemap:

// Simple Site Map
sitemap 1234AnyStreet label="My Home"
{
    Frame label="Test"  {
        Slider item=ledbulb1
        Switch item=outlet1
    }
}

Hope this helps you. OpenHAB does have a bit of a learning curve, no question. Try to not get too frustrated. I’ve still not found anything that will do nearly as much. But I get frustrated with it too. If you stick with it you will get it. Also, I’m using 2.0 - can’t seem to find the time to move over to 2.1.

Good Luck & let us know if you get it!! :slight_smile:

still stumped… no errors now and commands appear in logs but no switch or led action takes place. both work fine from Insteon app & Alexa.

insteon.items:

Switch outlet1 "Kichen Light" {insteonplm="2C.F3.BE:F00.00.1B#switch"}

insteon.sitemap:

sitemap insteon label="Home"
{
  Frame label="Lights" {
	Slider item=ledbulb1
	Switch item=outlet1
  }
}

log entries after basic ui interaction:

2017-10-21 11:31:54.519 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'ledbulb1' received command 100
2017-10-21 11:31:54.528 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - ledbulb1 changed from 0 to 100
2017-10-21 11:32:00.347 [ItemCommandEvent          ] - Item 'outlet1' received command ON
2017-10-21 11:32:00.352 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - outlet1 changed from OFF to ON
2017-10-21 11:32:49.050 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - DimmerRequestReplyHandler: set device 32.C5.70 to level 0
2017-10-21 11:33:19.700 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - SwitchRequestReplyHandler: set device 2C.F3.BE to OFF

the MessageHandler log entries seem to indicate the settings are 0 and OFF instead of what the ItemCommandEvent values are - what does that mean?
anything else I can check or try?

THX!

also, when idle I see repeated log entries for these 2 devices like…

2017-10-21 11:57:13.236 [INFO ] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - devices:   2 configured,   2 polling, msgs received:     4
2017-10-21 11:57:49.676 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - DimmerRequestReplyHandler: set device 32.C5.70 to level 0
2017-10-21 11:58:19.031 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - SwitchRequestReplyHandler: set device 2C.F3.BE to OFF
2017-10-21 12:02:49.502 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - DimmerRequestReplyHandler: set device 32.C5.70 to level 0
2017-10-21 12:03:19.099 [INFO ] [onplm.internal.device.MessageHandler] - SwitchRequestReplyHandler: set device 2C.F3.BE to OFF

Humm - that’s odd. From the log entries it’s as if the system sees two different ‘ledbulb1’ pieces of equipment. One that you are controlling with the slider and the other one that is an insteon device that it is reporting the state. I really don’t know what to tell you unless you might be using some weird editor that is putting strange characters in the file and openHAB is getting confused?

Also … your next question re the repeating info. The insteon binding polls the state of the defined devices regularly. On thing you might do is change the state of one of the devices … and see if the binding picks THAT up … worst case it should appear the next time that device is polled.

I use a PLM so I’m not sure about much with the hub. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the binding had to wait until it polled to know what was up with the individual defined items on the hub - but I could be wrong.

Sorry - I know this is not much help.

To get to the root cause of this, I think you need to enable extra logging. See the wiki page linked below on how to do that:

This will separate the insteon stuff into a separate log file. Once you have that set up, restart openhab and look post the beginning of that log file (insteonplm.log) where is shows the initiation of the binding, the connection to the PLM etc. It will be big so you might want to put it in pastebin or something and just post a link here.

Also, please post your entire .sitemap, .items files. These should only be a few lines each. Please use the special forum formatting for code to post these. Post the entire file not just some bits that you think are important. This issue could easily be some small typo or other weirdness in a config file. Lastly, please post the insteon section of your .cfg file.

A few more questions:

1. What interface are you using to attempt to turn these devices on/off?

2. What version of openhab are you using?

3. What version of the insteonplm binding are you using?

4. What other bindings do you have installed?

5. What version of java are you using?

6. What platform is openhab installed on?