Insteon Binding (Beta) [4.1.0;5.0.0)

This is a rewrite of the Insteon binding adding some much needed improvements.

Apart from simplifying the user experience by retrieving all the configuration directly from the device when possible, and improving the way the Insteon things are configured in MainUI, here is an exhaustive list of the changes:

• Introduced device configuration automated determination
  • Converted mode-based number items to string type with descriptive states
  • Added number items uom support
  • Added scenes and X10 device things
  • Added distinct bridge things for supported Hub/PLM devices
  • Added button event trigger channels
  • Added device products configuration layer
  • Added device link database support
  • Added device cache storage
  • Added device operating flags controls
  • Added modem configuration flags controls
  • Added related devices synchronization feature
  • Added heartbeat timeout monitor
  • Added ability to link/unlink a device to the modem
  • Added ability to add missing default links
  • Added link database & scene management support
  • Added scene state support
  • Added new i3 devices basic support (untested)
  • Revamped console commands with auto-completion support
  • Improved discovery service
  • Improved thing status

For more details, see the updated documentation.

It is important to note that this is a breaking change. This means that users that are currently using the official binding will be required to reconfigure their Insteon setup. However, that process should be much easier with the new improvements.

To install this beta version, you must first uninstall the official Insteon binding.
If you are deploying the jar file, you need to install the transport serial feature via the console:

feature:install openhab-transport-serial

Changelog

Version 20240225

• Improve link database management support

Version 20240224

• Initial 4.x Release

Resources

• Latest release kar file: here
  • Latest release jar file: here
  • Source code: here

I’ve noticed running this on OH 4.1.2 that I get “Handler_Missing” errors after a reboot. Uninstalling the beta add-on and reinstalling it solves the problem until next reboot. I’m running on an rpi4 with an openhabian image. Any known issues, or ideas on what might be the cause?

I am not exactly sure but I noticed that the 3.x version is somehow showing in the add-on store causing two versions of the beta add-on to be displayed. It could be at startup the 3.x version is getting loaded instead of the 4.x one. This would prevent the addon from loading and cause the “Handler_Missing” error. Do you see any errors in your OH server logs?

In the meantime, I have opened an issue since the 3.x version should be ignored by OH 4.x servers.

Thanks for getting back to me. I do see three entries for Insteon when I search, but if I just scroll through the full list in the community marketplace add-on’s I only see the 4.1.0;5.0.0 Beta.

I have noticed that the regular insteon binding is showing as installed again after the uninstall/reinstall process. Is that normal? I definitely uninstalled it originally before I installed this addon.

I did some digging and I don’t see anyting in the openhab.log or events.log until I uninstalled and reinstalled. I do see something about a missing 4.2.0 Snapshot xml during boot. 4.2.0 Snapshot is the version listed for the regular insteon binding. Maybe its related?

java.lang.RuntimeException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT] : mvn:org.openhab.core.features.karaf/org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core/4.2.0-SNAPSHOT/xml/features
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.load(RepositoryImpl.java:121) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.<init>(RepositoryImpl.java:51) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryCacheImpl.create(RepositoryCacheImpl.java:51) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.getFeatureCache(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:611) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.ensureCacheLoaded(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:582) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.listRequiredRepositories(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:514) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.FeatureDeploymentListener.bundleChanged(FeatureDeploymentListener.java:247) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.FeatureDeploymentListener.init(FeatureDeploymentListener.java:90) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.osgi.Activator$DeploymentFinishedListener.deploymentEvent(Activator.java:86) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.registerListener(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:296) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:53) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.start(BaseActivator.java:92) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:818) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:569) [?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:810) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:767) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.startWorker0(EquinoxBundle.java:1032) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$EquinoxModule.startWorker(EquinoxBundle.java:371) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStart(Module.java:605) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:468) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1847) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1840) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1783) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1745) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1667) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.configureIOException(AetherBasedResolver.java:803) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:774) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:657) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:598) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:565) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:555) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.Connection.getInputStream(Connection.java:123) ~[?:?]
	at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1161) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.load(RepositoryImpl.java:114) ~[?:?]
	... 29 more
	Suppressed: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Could not find artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT
		at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:421) ~[?:?]
		at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:235) ~[?:?]
		at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:212) ~[?:?]
		at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveArtifact(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:272) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:767) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:657) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:598) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:565) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:555) ~[?:?]
		at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.Connection.getInputStream(Connection.java:123) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.load(RepositoryImpl.java:114) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryImpl.<init>(RepositoryImpl.java:51) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.RepositoryCacheImpl.create(RepositoryCacheImpl.java:51) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.getFeatureCache(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:611) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.ensureCacheLoaded(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:582) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.listRequiredRepositories(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:514) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.FeatureDeploymentListener.bundleChanged(FeatureDeploymentListener.java:247) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.FeatureDeploymentListener.init(FeatureDeploymentListener.java:90) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.osgi.Activator$DeploymentFinishedListener.deploymentEvent(Activator.java:86) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.registerListener(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:296) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.deployer.features.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:53) ~[?:?]
		at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.start(BaseActivator.java:92) ~[?:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:818) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$2.run(BundleContextImpl.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:569) [?:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:810) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:767) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.startWorker0(EquinoxBundle.java:1032) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$EquinoxModule.startWorker(EquinoxBundle.java:371) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStart(Module.java:605) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:468) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1847) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1840) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1783) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1745) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1667) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
		at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) [org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
Caused by: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.core.features.karaf:org.openhab.core.features.karaf.openhab-core:xml:features:4.2.0-SNAPSHOT
	at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:431) ~[?:?]
	at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:235) ~[?:?]
	at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:212) ~[?:?]
	at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveArtifact(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:272) ~[?:?]
	at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:767) ~[?:?]
	... 29 more

Is there another log I should check?

I’m realizing that’s I’m on OH 4.1.2, vs the installed regular insteon binding is showing as the latest release 4.2.0 Snapshot vs the stable 4.1.2. Is it possible there’s some incorrect dependency there? Either like your describing in the market place or in the beta itself? (if it is installing the original binding with it)

I noticed that too and is probably related to the issue I reported. As a matter of fact, if you try to uninstall the official version in that case, it won’t work but if you uninstall the beta version, both will show as uninstalled. Also the supported bundle version tag [4.1.0,5.0.0) shouldn’t appear in the MainUI marketplace. It is only used to filter a given marketplace add-on. This is most likely an indication that it is not currently being processed.

Something has changed with regards to how the marketplace addons are loaded in OH. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough knowledge to determine the root cause.

That’s just because the beta addon was compiled with the latest 4.2.0 code. However, it is fully backward compatible with OH 4.1.x.

Have you tried to load the kar file directly into your addons folder? There is a link to it in my original post above. Make sure to uninstall the marketplace version beforehand.

Ah, I did a fresh reboot and realized the uninstall log actually wasn’t triggered by me. It is automatically occuring durring boot. Seems like something odd is going on there. Once it finished booting it only showed the Beta installed, not the 4.2.0 Snapshot Insteon Add-on. After then removing and adding it again they were both back and worked.

I switched from using the broswer to installing via the .jar file, as you recommended and the problem is resolved. Insteon intializes just fine after a reboot. No more 4.2.0 xml feature error at boot either.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like