Insteon Dimmer Online BUT NOT Responding to Commands

Just discovered that one of my Insteon Dimmers is not responding to commands from openHAB.

The openHAB shows that the Insteon dimmer is ONLINE.

I am unsure if the switch is going bad or if it has something to do with changes I have made with other parts of openHAB.

From my openHAB log file:

2023-01-26 13:51:28.703 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'dimmer' received command ON
2023-01-26 13:51:28.725 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'dimmer' predicted to become ON
2023-01-26 13:51:28.747 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent      ] - Item 'dimmer' received command 100
2023-01-26 13:51:28.750 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item 'dimmer' changed from 0 to 100
2023-01-26 13:51:28.751 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item 'dimmer' predicted to become 100

Other Insteon dimmers and switches I have installed are working okay.

Wondering if Insteon-Terminal would offer any useful information?

It is likely that openHAB is falsely reporting it online.

I would remove power from dimmer and start fault finding from there.

dose the switch work without openHAB?

OH doesnā€™t actually know if the dimmer is operating. It has no way to know (there is no heartbeat or anything sent from the switch). The ONLINE means that the configuration (in OH) not really anything else.

I agree with @denominator Iā€™d first try ā€œrebootingā€ the switch by killing the breaker or pulling the reset switch open and back on. I actually had to do this with a dimmer of mine the other day. If that didnā€™t work Iā€™d next try factory resetting/relinking the dimmer and trying again.

Yes the switch functions via physical interaction.

Does pulling the reset just reboot the switch or does it remove the link to/from the PLM?

If I re-link with PLM does it create multiple entries in the PLM?

Pulling the reset just reboots. If you pull the reset, then push/hold it in until it beeps it factory resets the dimmer deleting its link table. Not sure about double entries in the PLM, but probably not and even if it did, it is pretty unlikely to have any effect. You can always use insteon-terminal to check/delete as needed.

It has been some time since I have used the Insteon-terminal.

Will it run under openhabian 3.0.2? Would hate to install any dependencies that would bork my setup.

I use insteon-terminal and am running OH 3.4.1.

You just stop OH or at least stop the Insteon binding so the connection to the PLM isnā€™t being used and then fire up insteon-terminal. Iā€™ve never had an issue.

this is the response from the dimmer. The device is receiving a command and responded back. The communication is working to-from it.

That is what I thought but yet the lights are not turning on.

They turn on if I use the physical switch.

Any ideas?

Did you try the reboot and/or reset yet?

Iā€™ve had weird stuff happen over the years where a switch stops responding to things and when i check it with insteon-terminal Iā€™ll find one of the links missing in the link DB or a weird setting in one of the flags. Iā€™ve wondered if from time to time bits get flipped in the internal memory. Either resetting/relinking or using insteon-terminal to fix my link db / flag setting has always fixed the issues.

@ranielsen - is there a way these days to see a devices flags through your binding in the OH console as to not have to install / understand insteon-terminal? Maybe @InTheDark can check his link DB and flags that way.

Rebooted.
Relinked.

Did not do a reset.

Will try that. Is push and hold the plastic tab until flash or chirp?

Sorry, no there isnā€™t a way to do this.

My guess is that the device is broke somewhere between the part of the device that turns the switch on/off and the part that communicates with devices.

Will swap out the switch over the weekend.

Insteon Dimmers are great until they are not. :neutral_face: Purchased a number of them for my home but after 10 years they started failing. Got a good deal back then during a holiday sale but now having to replace them makes it seem like a pricy endeavor.

Will provide update after I swap it out.

When mine fail, Iā€™m going to replace them with devices that support Matter. Iā€™m not planning on investing in a old, proprietary protocol anymore.

1 Like

Agreed.

When I purchased my Insteon switches I was not thinking about them failing and dying off I was thinking I was buying a light switch.

Price is defiantly a factor for me which is why I have replaced some of my failed Insteon with WiFi based devices that do not require a ā€˜cloud accountā€™.

I am open to z-wave and Matter devices if the price is right.

1 Like

I am running openHABian 3.0.2

Do I need to install ant and default-jdk?

All instructions are for Ubuntu 14.04

install ant, java jdk

sudo apt-get install ant default-jdk

I donā€™t want to create more problems while attempt to fix other problems.

I attempted to install and run without installing them but received the following error and I am not sure if that is the reason.

Error: Could not find or load main class us.pfrommer.insteon.terminal.Main

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: us.pfrommer.insteon.terminal.Main

Its been a long time, but IIRC I installed ant but already had java installed for OH so I didnā€™t install any special java-jdk.