Insteon is back!

This is from https://www.insteon.com/blog/2022/6/9/fnustys354bfmcmchr36wgvrn5h41z:

A New Day for Insteon!

We are a small group of passionate Insteon users that have successfully acquired Insteon. Like many of you, our homes are powered by Insteon’s amazing dual-mesh technology and highly configurable products.

Most of you discovered that the Insteon Hubs began coming back online. Our first priority was getting the hubs online immediately before we had access to this site, the email service provider, social accounts, etc. Every day more customers were giving up hope so it was critical to get that restored as soon as possible. We are aware not all functions are back online but we are actively working on it. We hope you understand this urgency and appreciate your patience.

Going forward we are committed to responsibly re-building the Insteon business. Our commitment to you, as part of the Insteon family, is to listen, communicate and be as transparent as possible in everything we do.

Please stay tuned for updates here as well as on twitter, facebook, reddit and elsewhere. If you are an Insteon Hub account holder, look for an email in the coming days.

Thank you all for your patience. We look forward to sharing this new journey with you.

Best regards,
Ken Fairbanks
CEO, Insteon Technologies

I saw mention of that on StaceyonIOT. Quite a rollercoaster for Insteon users.

It is important to note that the new owner is moving to a subscription model for using their cloud service. It’s currently on a volunteering basis but I wouldn’t be surprised if it becomes a requirement.

Hopefully by then, they will update their mobile app to allow local configuration without having to pay for the subscription.

1 Like

It didn’t take too long. It was just announced that the access to the Insteon cloud service will require a paid subscription after August 1st.

No word on having the ability to make local changes via the Insteon mobile app. But seeing that the app hasn’t been updated since the transfer to the new owner and how badly these were developed. My guess is that we would be back to using open source products to do so.

Honestly, they should. Insteon failed because there was no money coming in. Wink failed because there was no money coming in. We need to normalize the idea that it’s necessary to pay for ongoing cloud services, so that our providers can keep the lights on. It’s really no different from a streaming service or the monthly TV/Internet/electrical/gas bill.

What I’m glad to see is that the subscription prices ($40 for one year or $70 for two) are very reasonable…let’s just hope it’s enough to pay their bills.

Yeah, more clarity here would be good. Perhaps they’ll make it so that you can add/remove devices without requiring a subscription, but doing so would harm their bottom line.

After the previous owners destroyed the Insteon brand, I’m curious if the new ones can turn it around.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.