Intel NUC - Beginner

For whatever it’s worth: my NUC has an i3-5010 dual core processor w/ 8G RAM. Two VMs (OH and logitech Media Server) run without problem and the processor does not seem to break a sweat. One of the considerations is that VM require 1-2G of RAM that I believe is permanently allocated, but your 4G likely works well for 1 VM.
My personal reason to use VMs…I mess up installations or configurations regularly (or at least used to do so) and find myself in territory where my mediocre skills are insufficient to get the system back up again…simply loading a snapshot from a time when all was safe has been a huge time saver for me quite a few times…you can also use Docker, which uses way less resources and provides a similar benefit

1 Like

It is commercial, but HP is providing special Version for my Gen8.
But you can use any other virtualization software…
The reason for me to run this server is to have different machines for several tasks, but do not want to have several physical ones.
Especially for my development VM, i can use RemoteDesktop from my main machine in my office, or even with my Laptop in the living room, having the same state wherever I want. Theoretically even on my iPad.

Thanks for the further perspective.
Like yourself, I could well get myself into an awkward situation where I also may have to revert to a known ’ good state’, so that opportunity sounds very appealing.
Which virtualization software do you run?

That’s a shame it’s commercial.
In do like the possibility of a small hypervisor (I think that’s the right word) which bootstraps the VMs but also provides management capabilities too.
As an aside, I have an existing i3 NUC running Blue Iris software that acts as my ip camera hub. This is rather fully loaded as it is mind, as it supports five ip cameras.

It’s free

Just fyi, the latest version of virtualbox 5.1.34, is not compatible with phpvirtualbox; not sure if there is an update in the making, so for now, this does not seem to be an option anymore.

1 Like

Indeed, that‘s a pitty. Might be that there are other solution, just ask google as I did…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.
Just one question. When I install VirtualBox don’t I install on top of a host operating system? If so, which host OS do you use?

Yep, fair point.
Thank you for all your input.
Friendly Google can be a bit overloading when in the novice zone, I find though. :blush:

VirtualBox needs a host system

1 Like

There seems to be a smal fix for that

1 Like

Right, I’ll give that host OS a whirl and even if the NUC struggles to virtualize well, I can just use the host OS instead to run OpenHab. Always good to have options! :blush:

Just adding here my experiences in case others find this thread: phpVirtualBox 5.0 and Virtualbox 5.1.34 does not seem compatible; the installation method posted above did not work at first for me: it resulted for me in the wrong file permission settings and needed a few more steps (restarting vboxweb-service at the end) to even be able to login; however, ultimately, it does not seem to function well anyway (e.g., I cannot get the file selection menus to work)