IOS 2.1 Release and Project Update

Thank you so much for this update! It’s great! Love that we now have a platform to make this app the way it should be :heart_eyes:

@timbms What do you think about a dark mode? :wink:

@timbms thanks for your efforts here great job indeed, some big improvements. just one small ask, any chance you can set a switch in the settings so we can turn the search bar on or off?

Dark mode will become possible as soon as iOS 13 is out

1 Like

Could be an item on our todo list

2 Likes

Interesting.
You mean, you will release an update with darkmode when iOS13 has been released? Or do you mean, the app will enable darkmode, if it detects, that it runs on iOS13?
Asking, because I am on iOS13 already…

is thiis update only for new ios devices?
as bunch of my older ipads are still running on 2.0…

is app that demanding it can’t be updated on older devices or it’s apple stupid policy?

it really should run on even older ioses as they are just fine for homecontrol purpose tho.

I mean we should consider a dark mode as soon as iOS 13 is out and has reasonable adoption. Hopefully in September.
So far the app is not prepared for dark mode
Any PR is welcome on github

Ah, now it’s clear. Thx.

It’s really important to have an error-free sitemap for prompt refreshes (in any of the UIs). Just to be sure, check in openhab.log for sitemap related warnings.

2 Likes

Thanks for the hint. I will check this.

Tim,

Kudos and MANY thanks for your hard work and contribution !!

Have a great week
Frank

1 Like

Please try the latest beta. It should also have a fix for certain recycles

1 Like

Please try the latest beta. It should also have a fix for certain recycles

iOS app requires iOS > 11.1.

We will not aggressively follow Apple’s iOS release cycle. However, we will need to focus limited development resources to the mainstream of users. Therefore, please don’t rely on staying on stale hardware.

3 Likes

well, for me wallmounted tablet is definitely not going to be the newest released hardware by apple.
Its simply waste of money and resources.

on many perfectly fine models which are capable enough to control home, is 9.3 latest iOS available and I wouldnt call it as stale hardware at all.

If the app is aimed to be used on mobile phones on the go, then its ok, if its aimed to be used as frontend of OH, then its not.

just my two cents, nothing major, kiosk mode and habpanel is way to go

Devices with iOS 9.3 are about 7 years old! Take an Android device that is 7 years old … What is the latest version of the system there?

You complain at a fairly high level …

2 Likes

Hardware is rarely the reason why a device stops being supported. I too have a very old iPad and I can’t even install Google Books on it because the old version of iOS is not supported.

Luckily, with Lineage OS and the like, often you can keep it a bit more up to day once the manufacturer stops supporting it.

Yes this is true for hardware with Android …
Apple supports its devices with upgrades for a long time until it makes no sense at some point. At some point, the support ends for each device. I think 7 years is in computer technology for half an eternity, so my comment: You complain at a fairly high level …

Google could also provide an app with the old SDK. Unfortunately, the least developers do that because they would have to maintain each app twice. The manufacturer provide new SDK’s to support new features. I think you can not blame the manufacturer.

Google is actually a good comparison. Their REST API interfaces used to be XML based but are nowadays mainly JSON based. If I remember it correctly they discontinued their XML interface for Google Calendar.
For iOS app for the time being we support server < 2.0 speaking XML.