iOS notifications have no sound

Hi since my migration to OH3 I stopped hearing a sound on my iPhone when I get notifications from openhab. The notifications work and are displayed and everything, I just don’t get any sound or vibration.
I tried both commands bellow as well as sending it through a gui rule and also from myopenhab cloud

sendBroadcastNotification("test")
sendNotification("email", "message")

and its not only my iPhone. The same is true for my whole family so no, I did not change any setting on my iPhone.

What am I missing?

Edit:
I tried removing the app, restarting the phone and reinstalling it. Did not help…

1 Like

Update:
when inside the app i get “message could not be decoded” although I can read in in the notifications later and it also appears normally on the lock screen

I have exactly the same problem.
@timbms Do you know why this happens?

Finally, I though I was going insane…
What I’ve gathered so far is:
It’s probably not related to the local instance of openhab, since the behavior is the same when sending a message directly from myopenhab.org.
It’s probably not related to phone settings since it started across multiple devices at the same time.
Reinstating the app does not help.
I even went as far as removing the app. Creating a new myopenhab account with no instance of openhab connected to it. installed the app, connected to this account and sent a message directly to the device. same. Once, though, it played half a sound for SOME reason…

I felt the same…
Now I also opened a Github issue, with your information: Notifications cannot be decoded/no sound on notifications · Issue #608 · openhab/openhab-ios · GitHub

2 Likes

me too.
Notifications can be decoded and displayed correctly but NO SOUND!

is the sound controlled by the app or by IOS?
The settings in my IOS are correct.

ralph

@digitaldan
Hi,
do you know, who is currently responsible for ios-problems?
it seems, that there is an general problem with notifications since a couple of weeks…

ralph

We had a major upgrade of our Apple PNS functionality in openHAB Cloud recently, its very possible the migration of the old code to this broke sounds, i’ll take a look at it and let you know.

1 Like

Found the issue and am merging a fix:

I’ll need to schedule a maintenance window this weekend as this will require a rolling deploy of our backend web-socket servers.

6 Likes

Hello @digitaldan ,

I´m really looking forward for that fix - it cost me a few days of sleepless nights :smiley:
Do you have an ETA for the fix?

Will this also fix the Apple Watch Notification? I have the openHab notifications mirrored to my Apple Watch but no notifications appear there.

Thanks for a short update.

Have a nice week :slight_smile:

Yes it should fix those as well i believe, somehow they are tied to the sound payload. I’m planning on doing a slow rollout as early as today, i was not able to make time over the weekend.

Hey @digitaldan ,

I don´t know if you have an Apple device so I´m writing what I figured out, now.

iPhone XS Max - iOS 14.4.2

• notification working
  • sound / vibration not working

iPad Pro - iOS 14.4.2

• notification working

Apple Watch Series 4 - WatchOS 7.3.3
- notifications working, now

• notification will only display when you activate manually the screen then notification push message appears

Apple Watch Series 6 - WatchOS 7.3.3
- notifications working, now

• notification will only display when you activate manually the screen then notification push message appears

Let me know if I can test something more for you. :slight_smile:

The code has been deployed, sounds should be working again.

2 Likes

Hi @digitaldan ,

I tested all notifications on all my devices and it is working.

Thank you very much for your fast help :sparkling_heart:

Is there anything your openHab Apple Community can do for you like “Donate a Coffee” or anything similar like that?

Have a nice week.

Greetings
Disaster

Good to hear, thanks for the update. No need for a coffee, happy to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes