This binding is now available to download in JAR format (link is in this post). If this binding works for you then please post what brand and model you have so I can start compiling a compatibility list and it is always nice to hear from people with no issues
If you purchase a camera with no API support you will not get any motion, audio alarms or any of the other advanced features that are in the binding that require an API. Also not all cameras support MJPEG feeds which should be on your list of must have features when shopping for a camera. See below for more details on what each brand of camera has working as often choosing the right camera will save you from needing to purchase an extra video server to process the video feeds.
- Picture (snapshot) with adjustable auto refresh ability down to 1FPS which does not require you to disable authentication.
- MJPEG video streams work for cameras that can supply MJPEG format via a HTTP get request.
- HLS video streams can be produced by the binding for any camera that has a h264 format ability. This stream can be used in the iOS application or to Chromecasts for high res video.
- PTZ absolute move with any ONVIF compatible camera that supports ABSOLUTE movement. You can easily implement scenes and presets with Openhab rules.
- Motion Alarm features with Amcrest, Dahua, Doorbird, Foscam HD, and Hikvision cameras.
- Enable/Disable the motion alarm with Amcrest, Dahua, Foscam HD, Hikvision ,and Instar.
- Advanced SMART alarms with HIKVISION and Dahua only. Line crossing, Face detection and many more should now be working.
- Audio Alarm features with Amcrest, Dahua, Foscam HD, Hikvision and Instar cameras.
- Audio Alarm THRESHOLD control feature with Dahua and Instar (100 levels of control), Foscam HD (3 levels only).
- Control over the Infrared LED is now possible with Amcrest, FOSCAM HD and DAHUA as it is missing from the other brands API’s. Amcrest/Dahua have more control over the brightness where Foscam is just on and off.
- External Alarm inputs with Amcrest, HIK and Dahua.
- External Alarm output switching with Amcrest, HIK, Dahua and Doorbird.
- Custom Text overlay for Amcrest and Dahua only.
Cameras reported as working
DS-7208HQHI-F1 / N
DS-7616NI-K2 / 16P
Because this binding uses basic Openhab controls/channels it works well with the myopenhab.org cloud. Please use the Image channel and streaming wisely so as not to use bandwidth from a community run server and consider donating to help keep the server running. The binding has options to stop the image updating unless an alarm event occurs. Please do not leave remote sessions open and also use these features to keep the load small.
How to install
- Download the binding already built in JAR format from here:
- Place the JAR file after you unzip it into your openhab2-addons folder. You don’t install from PaperUI as the moment the JAR is in the correct folder the binding should be available to use.
- Any issues please take the time to read the readme file as it contains many helpful tips and example code.
GitHub Project and README
If you find a bug then please create an issue on github and be sure to post a number of lines from the openhab.log file before any errors occurred. Enabling TRACE gives a lot more information to help trace what is wrong. Setting it to INFO reset the log output back to normal.
Changing the log level
- Start the Karaf console https://docs.openhab.org/administration/console.html
- Enter in
log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.ipcamera
- Type in logout to exit the console or you can also type in log:tail to view a live stream of the log.
- Highly recommend using FRONTAIL if you are using Linux to view the logs as it has a filter/search ability which is very handy. This is accessed the same way as paperUI if you are using Openhabian. The Openhabian tool can be used to install frontail as well See…
What to do if you have issues
Read the readme first and check the openhab logs in at least DEBUG or TRACE level. Readme is found here