iPhone Presence Detection with hping3 and ARP

Please have a look at the thing properties (eg via PaperUI). They should tell you about the recognized arping, because there are multiple existing. arping need to run without sudo on the command line.

Regarding providing the IP or MAC: You only provide the IP, arping does the rest for us.

Cheers, David

Thx will check later today.

In my case I am able to run arping from command line.

Will it be possible (or maybe it is already exist) to specify in the thing which method should be use (ping, dhcp, arping or all)?

Will the thing will work for devices that doesn’t respond to ping (e.g. Alexa)?

Thx

Please read the documentation of the binding to find all your questions answered :wink:

It is not possible to select the method, because we use all methods at the same time to improve accuracy.

Alexa has specific tcp ports open. Just use a servicething for alexa.

Cheers, David

1 Like

@David_Graeff

Can you please explain "They should tell you about the recognized arping, "?

In my system i can run arping in command line:

19:01:06] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ arping
ARPing 2.14, by Thomas Habets thomas@habets.se
usage: arping [ -0aAbdDeFpPqrRuUv ] [ -w ] [ -W ] [ -S <host/ip> ]
[ -T <host/ip ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -c ]
[ -C ] [ -i ] <host/ip/MAC | -B>
For complete usage info, use --help or check the manpage.
[19:03:49] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ whoami
openhabian
[19:03:54] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$

Please note that in my openhab binding configuration I see that the “ARP ping tool path” is set to : arping

Thx!

I have tested the binding with the iputils arping, You are using Thomas version. They should both work, but we need to confirm the recognised version. Please have a look at the thing properties in paperui.

Properties are read-only and I have used them for this binding instead of the log to show all kind of information.

@David_Graeff

Hi David, i still seem struggling to understand what changes i need to make in order to get the presence detection up and running again with the latest changes of the binding in the same way as it was before. With the “old” binding this worked perfectly well with my iphones. When they were entering the network, the status changed to ONLINE. Only when they left the network, the status went to OFFLINE. Now it seems that once the iphone gets into sleep mode, the status changes to OFFLINE with the last seen timestamp, even though the iphone is still within the network. This happens frequently over day of course and at night. This causes problems as i have based a couple of rules fired with the request if iphones are ONLINE or OFFLINE. I am wondering if this still is a bug, if this is the purpose or if i do need to change anything on the configuration to make it work again that only when the iphone is not in the Network, the status is OFFLINE.

Thing Status IIThing Status

Thanks. Jan

@David_Graeff

Hi David, i’m trying to use the new binding without the script file but it seams i’m missing something essential.

in paperui this is how my binding looks like:

thing looks like this:

arping can be used without sudo from terminal with the mentioned bath in the binding config.
from my understanding what i can see in paperUI of the Thing its not using arping at all.

regards, Matt

@David_Graeff

See my properties. Also for me it seems that arping is not used

@Matt77 You are using serviceDevice. Please read the description within the screenshot: …with running service… AND …which reachable state is detected by connecting to a TCP port."

arping will never be used for a serviceDevice. Use a pingDevice instead.

Oh, that “uses_arpping” property is not existing anymore actually. Ignore what it says. The other propery says that the thomas arping was recognised and will be used.

@David_Graeff

OK, so how could I know that the arping from the binding is working (as currently it seems not to work). Are there any logs I can enable that will help to debug it?

Do you suggest to move to iputils arping?

Can you get into the situation where nothing else then arping would work? Like a deep sleeping iphone/android?

It would be helpful if you could use the command line to try:

• a normal ping (should fail)
  • an arp ping

The binding can only be as good as the tools it uses. There is unfortunately no further debug than what you see in the properties, but if it is listed there, you can be sure it is used, in parallel to everything else.

As stated already, I have only tested it with the iputils arping. iputils needs a network interface to work and I add this parameter to thomas arping as well. Might be that the program is confused because of that.

Cheers, David

@David_Graeff

See below results from command line to Alexa:

[14:09:57] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ ping 192.168.0.105
PING 192.168.0.105 (192.168.0.105) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- 192.168.0.105 ping statistics ---
7 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 6247ms

[14:12:34] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ arping 192.168.0.105
ARPING 192.168.0.105
60 bytes from f0:xx:2d:xx:xx:01 (192.168.0.105): index=0 time=136.525 msec
60 bytes from f0:xx:2d:xx:xx:01 (192.168.0.105): index=1 time=55.504 msec
^C
--- 192.168.0.105 statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received,   0% unanswered (0 extra)
rtt min/avg/max/std-dev = 55.504/89.947/136.525/30.036 ms

Maybe I will switch to iputils apring and see if it behaves differently.

Process proc;
// IPutilsArping uses "-w", ThomasHabertArping "-W" for the timeout
String timeoutFlag = arpingTool == ArpPingUtilEnum.IPUTILS_ARPING ? "-w" : "-W";
proc = new ProcessBuilder(arpUtilPath, timeoutFlag, String.valueOf(timeoutInMS / 1000), "-c", "1", "-I", interfaceName, ipV4address).start();

is the code, the command line would be: arping -W 1000 -c 1 -I eth0 192.168.0.105 with eth0 being your network interface name. Can you try this as well?

[14:23:50] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ arping -W 1000 -c 1 -I eth0 192.168.0.105
ARPING 192.168.0.105
60 bytes from f0:27:2d:95:33:01 (192.168.0.105): index=0 time=76.472 msec
60 bytes from f0:27:2d:95:33:01 (192.168.0.105): index=1 time=15.526 sec
60 bytes from f0:27:2d:95:33:01 (192.168.0.105): index=2 time=80.776 sec
60 bytes from f0:27:2d:95:33:01 (192.168.0.105): index=3 time=145.786 sec

It should respond with 1 result actually (c=count=1). Can you change the “-W 1000” which means timeout after 1000 to 5000 and see if the program halts the command line for 5 seconds? Because that would be the problem then.

Maybe "-W"s unit is seconds instead of milliseconds.

According to http://www.manpagez.com/man/8/arping/
and this http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man8/arping.8.html

Thomas’ arping uses “-w” as well but uses seconds.
Older versions (ubuntu) do not support “-w” at all. Sigh.

with -W 1000 the command seems to halt. It takes time between two responses. But I don’t know why as -c i 1 ???

With -W 5000 seems to behave the same …

-c count
Stop after sending count ARP REQUEST packets. With deadline option, arping waits for count ARP REPLY packets, until the timeout expires.

-w deadline
Specify a timeout, in seconds, before arping exits regardless of how many packets have been sent or received. In this case arping does not stop after count packet are sent, it waits either for deadline expire or until count probes are answered.

You have one more other version of thomas arping. The other manuals say:

Ubuntu:

-v     Verbose output. Use twice for more messages.
 -w     Time to wait between pings, in microseconds.

And found the reason:

It was fixed end of 2016. And some distros still have old packages I guess.

Fixed in