IR transmitters

I am looking for a cheap IR transmitter to be able to control my HDMI hub, tv, stereo and the projector. I came across this Broadlink one, however its seems hard to bind it to openhab, see here.

There is this rather expensive German version here, but if it has good quality and super easy to setup, then I will go for it. What does other OH users out there use?

Someone posted this recently…

Maybe we can make our own based on mtqq and IR:

Arduino hack

Seems fairly easy and cheap or?

I saw that logitech has some IR transmitter aswell, maybe i go down that line…

I found this one today, it seems a bit pricy but it might be easy to integrate since it has wifi :smile:

Oh dear, I had assumed an IR transmitter would have been one of the first things to have working on a home automation system.

Some people have a working solution based on the ESP8266 (WiFi controller), which should be fairly easy to bind with OpenHab:
http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=880

Other solutions could be built around the Raspberry Pi and a USB WiFi dongle which are only US$3. Ideally this could be done on the Raspberry Pi Zero as it would be cheaper.

Hi everyone. New openHAB user here.

I have just purchased a Orvibo. Waiting for it to get delivered.

Can’t wait to code it to work with openHAB.

looks promising…

Just thought I would post a quick status update.

I have my Orvibo AllOne IR blaster working with the Python library here… https://github.com/cherezov/orvibo
I’m going to mount it to my ceiling.

It works great. I currently have it controlling my Air Conditioner (Split system) with a simple On/Off switch (set to a fixed temperature) and “Powerful” button in openHAB. Next will be the home entertainment stuff and temperature options for the AC.

It was actually quite simple to get working with openHAB thanks to the Python library. I had it all up and running the way I wanted in about half an hour.

I was thinking of writing a small guide if anyone is interested?

1 Like

I’m interested.

I’m interested too.

I’ve just implemented such hack - esp8266 based ir receiver / transmitter over mqtt. I can send standard codes by ID and receive any standard codes (RC5, NEC, Phillips etc)
in OH I configure for example:
Switch ir_philips_volp "Vol+" <ir> (gIR) {mqtt=">[mosquitto:esp8266/02/sender/RC5/12:command:ON:1040]"} Number ir_in_lg "LG remote command [%d]" <ir> (gIR) {mqtt="<[mosquitto:esp8266/02/receiver/NEC/32:state:default]"}

I focused on my devices so not all codes are supported.

Hardware is very simple - IR receiver connected directly to ESP GPIO and IR LED connected via 1 transistor.

I would like to also create an ESP8266 based solution for another room rather than purchasing another Orvibo AllOne.

For those that are interested, here is my guide on how to set up the Orvibo AllOne with openHAB…

Can you make a small tutorial for construction of your’s hardware based on ESP, and implementation of everything in openHUB?

Robinson solution with Orvibo is excellent but this also looks very promising.

Here you are:

1 Like

Hi.

Congratulations for this great code.

I tried it but can’t make it work. I think I need some examples of use.

I’m trying something easy, I guess: to send a ON command to a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver.

I analysed the code from the original remote with AnalysIR and it’s:

Hex: 7E817E81
Binary: 01111110 10000001 01111110 10000001

If I replay the IR code from AnalysIR it the receiver turns on.

Now, I don’t quite understand how to send the MQTT message for mqtt-ir-transceiver to send the code.

My device “mqtt_prefix” is “irtrans01” so I tried sending:
Topic: "irtrans01/sender/NEC/32"
Payload: “7E817E81” and also tried “0x7E817E81”

I can see in the serial monitor “*IR: Send NEC:7” (or “*IR: Send NEC:0” when payload = “0x7E817E81”)

Propably I don’t understand the format. Looks like passing a hex is incorrect as it only accepts numbers.
Any help is appreciated.

I didn’t think about hex, I use ony dec. Convert hex to dec.

You can read codes via receiver module, use topic to read codes:

irtrans01/receiver/#

and you can see format, size and code (in dec format)

Thank you.

I’ts working now but there is still some kind of problem.

When I send the code -> Hex: 7E817E81 (decimal 2122415745) it works fine.

When I send the code -> Hex: 807F817E (decimal 2155839870) it doesn’t work.

When I send the code -> Hex: 817E817E ‭(decimal 2172551550) it doesn’t work.

In the last two cases the monitor window show “*IR: Send NEC:2147483647”, so I guess the problem has to do with the limit of the variable holding the code (msgInt).

I can see msgInt should be already an unsigned long as it’s declared as “unsigned long msgInt = msgString.toInt();”, so I don’t know where the problem is (maybe in the “toInt()”?).

Sorry, I’m not a good enough programmer to fix it.

I’ve checked your codes - you are right. The problem was toInt() - I missed that it returns long not unsigned long. See new code - now should work.