Is a Rule Still Required to Toggle a Switch From an MQTT Message?

I have two Zigbee devices, one maintains state to implement a toggling behavior, and another that just sends event messages when the button was pressed. The stateful one is here:

Type string : zigbeeKitchenSmall               "Kitchen small button"          [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqttHouse/0x00124b0022e96ad1", transformationPattern="REGEX:(.*action.*)∩JSONPATH:$.action" ]

It works fine.

For the other button I get:

{"action":"1_single","linkquality":114}

Am I required to write a rule that interprets an action triggered by an event message and do the toggling in the rule? I’m just wondering if there’s a shorter way to go about it these days.

I’m not sure right now, but I think you can add a channel to your MQTT item via the web interface. If you select the On/Off switch and click on “Show advanced” you can assign a “Custom On/Open Value” and “Custom Off/Closed Value”.

At “Incoming Value Transformations” then “JSONPATH:$.action”.

With this method, however, only two values can be processed, so you would have to create several if needed. But then the way over a rule would be easier.

That’s what I thought. Thanks. I wanted to check, because new features go in all the time that I don’t know about.