Is google asistant integration no longer maintained?

And where do we look for these developers who are not already contributing to OH? If they are already contributing then they already know and/or are choosing to volunteer their time working on something else. If they are not already contributing then how do we find them? What do we say to them to ask them to contribute to this specific area as opposed to something else that interests them more?

In true opensource, why don’t you volunteer yourself to try and find these developers and encourage them to contribute? You feel strongly about it. You apparently have an idea about how to make it work.

It does no good to keep on saying the sky is falling and telling someone else what they need to do. If you see a problem, then volunteer to fix it or get involved in finding someone who can fix it. Anything else is just complaining. Instead of “the foundation should…” or the “the architecture counsel should…” or “the maintainers should…”, why not “I should…” or “I see a problem, let me take the lead in trying to solve it…” or “I see a problem, how can I help…”

3 Likes

Well probably An announcement would do no harm? “[Announcment] Maintainers for Google Home integration wanted” “Our main maintainer is overwhelmed with work and we are looking for someone o help him”. That would probably be useful for people like me who are not actively involved just to get an overview on what parts are more stale than other? Maybe this would encourage people to help more? Update on github readme would also do no harm.

Now, I don’t agree with Kim’s view that the Foundation should do this and that etc, but I also don’t a agree with the view that is is opensource, just let it be :slight_smile: But, we all have our different takes on it

1 Like

That is not what I said and it is not what I mean. Absolutely do NOT just let it be. If you see a problem, do what is in your power to try and help fix it. But that means more than posts on the forum telling other people what they should be doing.

I’ve no problem with an announcement or the like. And developers like Marzima are encouraged to make such announcements on github and in this forum and any other communications channel OH related. But I don’t think we can expect every maintainer and every developer to do so. I would like to think that’s the case but sometimes people just disappear. Sometimes lack of activity means everything is working, not that the code is abandoned. So posts like the OP are useful as well.

exactly

great ideas for sure… there is also a ‘help wanted’ tag in github as well

good point as well Rich. It took this thread to find out the status of the binding development.

@gytisgreitai it sounds like you have a done a lot of good work on the binding. Maybe you and Mehmet can collaborate on the binding or Mahmet can review your work and give you maintainers rights on the repository. Just throwing it out there. Sounds like he needs help for sure!

And finally
@MARZIMA
Thank you for everything you have already contributed! Life gets busy, people’s interest change, like Rich said, sometimes they just disappear. If you never lifted a finger to further develop the binding, you have already made a huge contribution… THANK YOU!!!
I’m sorry for any comments made in this thread that diminished the contribution you have made.

1 Like

It is all good.

If you look back, when we released the OH GA Integration there I mad an initial post and asked for contributors. It was the most seen topic and @rlkoshak and me decide to close it due it became a monster thread.

I always motivate the community and highlight that everybody can help and is highly welcome. Again, since the first release of the Google Assistant integration.

The normal way, and that’s how I joined openHAB cloud back than, was to offer my service and help. I wrote that I want to support and started taking small things. But this „motivation“ came from myself.
This is what I mean by nobody should motivate others. If you really want to contribute, there are many ways.

This is daily business and we have many great maintainers and contributers.

For this project, there was always a higher „usage“ community - which is amazing! But now we shall check how we can involve also more „contributer“ community.

I will play my role there, but I cant do magic and produce volunteers.

Looking forward for anyone to join.

@rlkoshak with the one big thread of GA, I noticed more things. Maybe it was a bad idea to close the thread. So I could reacted quicker?

BR Mehmet

2 Likes

Official Google Assistant Integration for openHAB has been reopened. I’m for anything that makes your job easier.

1 Like

I think (at least from this thread) we have a disagreement on the approach how to implement it ( at least from this thread), I also think that current codebase is not scalable, therefore I started from scratch. I am also not sure about myself how long will I be able to commit, so it’s also a test for me.

In the meantime, I’ve scambled draft of readme on how items should be configured with my approach in Openhab to map them to Google devices https://github.com/gytisgreitai/openhab-google-home/blob/master/README.md

You totally miss my point Rich… One have to know there is a problem before beeing able to deal with it. This is what I talk about. For some reason I really cant understand, it seems like this integration just stopped, without anyone notice, untill Gytis started this thread. Thats the problem I´m speaking about.
If the other maintainers knew, or any else. All I ask is that they at least do something, (an announcement asking for help or whatever). Doing nothing, you can be damn sure, nothing gona happen. If they didnt knew, perhaps this is how things could be optimized!

You seem to continuing miss the whole point.
You really believe this is just complaints?

Bingo!
Thats why it´s important to have somekind of procedure to try deal with it. To my understanding, there is none.

It is better than nothing. Question is, is thats how it has to be, (wait untill someone given up waiting and starting on his own). Or would it be better to have a more precise procedure to at least try a deal with such a situation in the future, before it gets to the next “Gytis” ?
Like I mentioned a few post back… It´s a paradox. We´re all dealing with a smarthome system where we try to think and deal with “what if…”. But when it comes to the developing (maintaining) part, there seem to be noone really taking care about "what if… ".
What if a maintainer dissapear (an integration or any other important part seem abandonded). Then what… Whats YOUR suggestion? Wait an see what happens?

Then why don’t you come up with a procedure? Why don’t you figure out how to make such a procedure work? So far all of your posts are “Something’s wrong someone else needs to do something about it.” Well they are not doing something about it. They likely are not going to do something about it or else they already would have been. So if you are not willing to take the lead and volunteer the effort than yes, it’s just complaining.

I look forward to your submission of a proposal to the openHAB project Github with just such a proposal outlined.

I choose not to contribute to OH to solve this particular problem. I choose to volunteer my time to contribute to those things that I have the the skills, time, and interest in doing. And this is the approach and attitude of pretty much all open source developers I’ve ever met.

My suggestion is, since you feel strongly about this, then you come up with something. Don’t wait for someone else to decide to address it. Don’t demand that someone else address it either. You are the one with the grave concerns. You are the one who believes there is some sort of solution that will work. So go see if you can make it happen.

If you want a problem fixed in an open source project you need two things:

1. recognize that there is a problem to solve
  2. be willing to or find someone willing to volunteer their time to solve the problem.

You’ve 1 covered. What about 2?

If you are not willing to do this yourself or find someone willing to volunteer to do it for you then I maintain my opinion. It’s just complaining and hoping someone else takes notice and does it for you.

5 Likes

Hi @gytisgreitai, Why there isn’t the action.devices.types.LIGHT ? I see you use SWITCH for your lamp, but in this case google home don’t see a light but a switch

I wouldnt mind. But its a organised procedure. As a private user you cant expect one to hunt all around github trying to figure out wether a integration/repo/whatever is “falling” behind. This is something for a more organised level, either at maintainers or AC´s levels.

Yet you expect the maintainers to do so? They have no more insight into all the repos than you do. The AC has even less insight, and it’s not their job.

If you want this to happen then yes, I expect you to spend the time to go through the repos and watch them for signs of abandonment. Or you can establish some sort of organization to do this work. As a “private user” you have as much info and insight into this as any of the maintainers or AC does. And both the AC and maintainers have their own tasks and responsibilities. I don’t see them being willing to take this on.

So please, go do it or stop complaining about it. You’ve said your peace. But if you are not willing to spend time on it why should anyone else volunteer to do so?

2 Likes

Make’s note… don’t get on @rlkoshak bad side.
Actually I brought up this exact issue while ago when someone wanted to sell OH as a residential business venture, he was looking for support with his projects/jobs.
My opinion hasn’t changed, It isn’t fair to expect volunteer’s to provide support from members to resolve issues concerning knowledge in which he was limited.
You should be ready to support with in depth knowledge any product that you would intend to use to support your family. With openHAB it is a complicated amazing tool for the impending future. Be happy you are getting in on the ground floor.
I have spent approx a year and I am only now beginning to understand the architecture, not to mention python, docker, sitemaps, API’s, links and etc.
I agree that if someone feels deeply concerning a problem, then do what others do.
Grab the bull by the horn’s! Not that you can accomplish quickly. Sit at your laptop and learn it.
The good news is that I hope that soon I can contribute as well.
Thank you ALL for the time you have given to provide a platform so many can benefit from.
We Are openHAB Strong :muscle:
Steve-

1 Like

There are a lot of devices that are not there yet. Light also comes with action.devices.traits.Brightness trait which also is not done yet and would probably need to be implemented via Dimmer/Number, so it’s on todo…

perfect :heart:

I see also the inverted option for Blinds, it’s a good idea for people who have problem. good job :slight_smile:

No, I expected someone had already taken this into consideration.

Precise. But I´ll need to know where to look, and what to do, in case something doesnt look right.
As I explained before, this has to be organised and structured.

If/when noone complaints or mentioned anything, it doesnt mean everything is good. Mostly it means, something could be better, but noone cares about it. You seem to prefere this way.
Its a very bad habbit to target the person complaining or mention something, telling them to fix it themselves, rather than trying to understand, that even a complaint can be the help needed to get things changed. You seem very focused on anyone saying, mentioning, complaining, that they grab the ball and fix it themselves. This is mostly why people aren´t saying anything. And then´ll you´ll end up with noone saying anything anymore, because they dont care.

It´s a circle destruction, and a bad way of thinking, in my opinion.

Anyway, as I said, I wouldnt mind doing what I believe is needed , as long as it gets organised and structured. Without, there is a great risc that things wont be any better.

As evidenced by this whole conversation clearly you can see that’s not the case.

openHAB is an open book. Everything is done out in the open on GitHub for the world to see. Start looking at the Issues and PRs made to the various repos and come up with some sort of metric to tell if a project is in trouble. You know as much as anyone else. You are perfectly capable of organizing and structuring this effort.

I didn’t say don’t mention or say anything. But you keep on complaining about this one issue over and over across multiple threads. So at this point either do something about it or stop complaining. We have been made aware of the problem.

If you see something new, then yes, please raise the issue. But also realize, the issue must be raised on GitHub at some point.

How is it any better that those who do care about it are not willing to do anything more than complain about it on the forum? If you think you are helping the project by just pointing out problems over and over with no intent on working to fixing it then you are part of the problem.

You’ve raised your issue. No one has volunteered to do the work to address your issue. Continuing to complain about the same thing is not going to get things changed. It’s just complaining. It’s not helpful. It will lead nowhere.

If you are looking for some sort of top down organization to impose upon the various OH repos than you are heading down the wrong path. That isn’t how OH as a project is organized. That isn’t how it works. And I doubt the maintainers at large will sign up for such.

But as an effort that you lead, you can organize and structure it how ever you want.

Hi @gytisgreitai. Thanks for your voice about GA maintanance problem. But the greatest thanks for your development attempt. Your approach looks very flexible.

As I understand this topic has to be split into two parts. The first one is to discuss how to manage the overall issue with any component maintenance: ability to maintain maintainers, how to see red flags in the project, explain foundation approach and so on. My proposal is to create by you the second topic: “New implementation of GA integration” to discuss your approach, give you feedback, ask you about details and focus on deployment.

The last one is the question: How to deploy two different ways of GA integratioon (current @MARZIMA and developed by @gytisgreitai) on existing myopenhab.org infrastructure.

I keep the fingers crossed and I hope GA integration features will be enhanced.

My understanding is that the tag naming approach was derived from the initial Apple HomeKit integration.

There have been a few discussions on how to continue having a unified configuration across virtual assistant integrations while introducing customized metadata configuration. The main consensus seems to be to use the recently added semantics metadata support concept. Another idea was to expand the current list of supported tags across integrations but we never got to an agreement in the end.

I think that is a terrific idea. It is not unprecedented to have two binding using the same technology. Matt1 has developed a great ip camera binding when there was already an ip camera binding and has developed many new features