Is installation of OpenHAB 3 supported on Centos 9 Streams?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: x86, 4GB RAM 40GB storage
    • Java Runtime Environment: java 11
    • openHAB version: Attempting install of 3.2 using “dnf install openhab”
      Issue of the topic:

Hi,
I preface this with the fact I’m not a Linux expert, but have “entry level” experience with CentOS.

I’m looking to understand if OpenHAB 3 is supported on CentOS 9 Streams.

The documentation seems to suggest it is, however when attempting to install OpenHAB 3 using the jfrog repository (JFrog) I’m getting an error.

The following is the output following the installation of the GPG key which is done by dnf.

Key imported successfully
Import of key(s) didn’t help, wrong key(s)?
Problem opening package openhab-3.2.0-1.noarch.rpm. Failing package is: openhab-3.2.0-1.noarch
GPG Keys are configured as: https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/api/gpg/key/public
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing ‘dnf clean packages’.
Error: GPG check FAILED

I have also attempted to attach a screenshot of the full command and output. The key seems to have been imported successfully. While I’m not familiar with this error it seems there could be a problem with the key.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I’d highly recommend using docker. Makes it so simple to install / upgrade / downgrade.

All I can say is it’s supposed to work. MAybe the GPG key expired or something like that. If the problem persists open an issue on the openhab-distro repo. How to file an Issue

In the mean time, I’d recommend following the manual installation instructions, or if you want to learn something else new Docker.

apt-key list

shows ( only the relevant key ) :

pub   rsa4096 2015-07-25 [SC] [expires: 2023-07-24]
      EDB7 D030 4E2F CAF6 29DF  1163 0757 21F6 A224 060A
uid           [ unknown] openHAB Bintray Repositories <owner@openhab.org>
sub   rsa4096 2015-07-25 [E] [expires: 2023-07-25]

Looks fine … at least not expired.

Do we know if the rpm is signed with that same key?

1 Like

Hi,

I went back and tried the installation on a different distro (something other than CentOS Streams) and this issue did not occur. It seems this may be something specific to CentOS Streams.

I was able to successfully install OpenHAB 3 on both Rocky and ALMA without issue.

My guess is there is something up with CentOS Streams.

I attached a screenshot of the successful outcome.

I’m going to take the advice of those who suggest looking at Docker and give that a try.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s time and advice.

Thank you all.

I believe this is due to the fact the CentOS Stream 9 disables SHA-1 signature verification on GPG keys by default. The key imports fine in CS9, but the verification fails as SHA-1 is considered insecure. See this bug for details. It’s only a matter of time before this gets to more distros, so I would suggest the package maintainer update the signing method to use a more secure signature hash.

You can install OH3 on CentOS 9 by disabling the GPG key check in the yum.repos.d config file:

/etc/yum.repos.d/OpenHAB-Stable.repo

[openHAB-Stable]
name=openHAB Stable
baseurl=JFrog
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=“https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/api/gpg/key/public
enabled=1

Or you can optionally reset the system to LEGACY crypto policies with:

update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks for reporting it, I’m looking into this now - the upstream libraries have changed to support SHA256 and I have merged these with my workaround to support larger keys.

Current RPM packages:

openhab-3.3.0-1.noarch.rpm:
    Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID a224060a: OK
    Header SHA1 digest: OK
    V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID a224060a: OK
    MD5 digest: OK

Initial tests with a local dummy key seem good:

Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 6cf32def: OK
    Header SHA256 digest: OK
    Payload SHA256 ALT digest: OK
    Payload SHA256 digest: OK
    V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 6cf32def: OK

It’s only changes to the signing method, so we don’t need to change the key that we use we may also have to change the key if the crypto policies do not allow the RSA/SHA1 signature at all. There were a large number of unrelated changes to the 3rd party plugins so I need to test if the packages generated work in the same way (and are compatible with older packages on upgrade).

If all goes well - this issue will be fixed when the following PR is merged: Update 3rd party libraries with large RSA key modifications by BClark09 · Pull Request #214 · openhab/openhab-linuxpkg · GitHub

Not as successful as I’d hoped… my test on an Centos9 Stream build still reports a bad signature with the updated libraries (which I should have probably expected since the signature method didn’t actually change in my above post).

warning: Signature not supported. Hash algorithm SHA1 not available.

warning: Signature not supported. Hash algorithm SHA1 not available.
    Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 82573a7c: BAD
    V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 82573a7c: BAD

But resigning with RPMs own tools (rpm --resign) using the same key is valid:

Header V4 RSA/SHA512 Signature, key ID 82573a7c: OK

I don’t understand why this is the case - so it may take a while for me to have a look at what’s happening here but at the moment @jeremyrumpf 's suggestions above work as a temporary measure.

Hi all,

I found the issue and have made the appropriate changes.

Packages from now on will be signed with RSA/SHA256. No change is necessary from a user’s perspective to use these new packages.

Cheers,
Ben

1 Like

Until a new signed version will be released or an older version has to be installed, use the following steps to install openhab (eg. Rocky Linux 9)

Enable SHA1 to validate the signature of the RPM (reboot is NOT needed)
update-crypto-policies --set DEFAULT:SHA1

Install openhab from the JFrog repo
dnf install openhab

Switch back to default security settings.
update-crypto-policies --set DEFAULT

More details can be found at Redhat.