Is it possible to have Alexa whisper responses?

Subject says it all – use case: I have a rule that, when activated, sets my alarms for the following morning – something like
sendCommand(echo_TextCommand, “wake me up at 7 am to country music”)
sendCommand(echo_TextCommand, “wake me up at 7:15 am to rock music”)
sendCommand(echo_TextCommand, “wake me up at 7:30 am to wake up music”)

This works well. The only problem is, I go to bed later than my wife, and alexa says “Alarm set for 7 am to …” followed shortly with “Alarm set for 7:15 am to …” etc etc, which wakes her up. Ideally, I’d like echo to whisper these things back so that I can still get audible confirmation, and she can sleep without my interruption…

I have tried setting both volume and textToSpeechVolume but neither seemed to change anything (admittedly I might be doing something wrong … but those would not “whisper” I don’t think. I also tried adding amazon:effect=“whispered” and </amazon:effect> tags in the text command but that didn’t work at all either.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

According to the documentation for the textToSpeech channel, it supports SSML delimited by the <speak> tag.

<speak>I want to tell you a secret.<amazon:effect name="whispered">I am not a real human.</amazon:effect></speak>

Thanks – that is for textToSpeech – I am using textCommand; it does not seem that the tags are recognized with textcommand.

I missed that part. I don’t believe this is possible as input. You might want to temporary lower your echo device volume while issuing the command via the volume channel.

Thx. I was able to get this working (lower volume).

Thanks!

1 Like

Did you by chance figure out a way to have the unit not acknowledge the volume change with a beep? I have 2 rules (one morning, one evening) that sets the volume on all echos to sane values but they give an annoying quick beep each time.

OMG, would love to know how to stop this.

Best, Jay

I thought it make sense to use this threat instead of creating a new one…

I want to use Alexa “textCommand” to control devices, which do not have another possibility in OH.
The Issue is, that I´ve a rule, which is firing every 10secs (Checking the soc of my house-battery) and then set a bulb-color with the Alexa-textCommand. So the Alexa says every 10sec´s “OK”. Even if I set the volume to “0” before, one can hear it AND I get this silly beep.

Anyone has a cool idea to work around that??

Currently I´m on OH 4.1.0

There is no way to my knowledge to prevent an Alexa voice response to a command. You can enable brief mode to have a chime instead of the standard “OK” response.

Is there anything that is preventing you from achieving this automation from the OH side?

a bulb with no possibility to be controlled by OH but by Alexa (and my personal ambition) :wink:

Have you tried to load your Alexa smart home devices into OH using the Amazon Echo Control binding?

For whatever reason, this is also not working. Despite the fact, I already have some other “Alexa-only”-devices, which are (automatically) detected via the echo-binding. Not sure why. I thought, the text-command would be a good workaround…

I think, I´ve to buy another bulb, which is more willing to compromise :wink:

could you share the type of the bulb ?

It’s a Govee H6008. As there is a brand-new binding for Govee-Devices (which runs well with other Govee-Devices), I thought I give it a try. But unfortunately this one does not have an API and is not supported by the binding (and cannot be in future). So I looked for another possible way to get it controlled by OH.
Anyhow, it was not that expensive and it´s just playing around. Nothing really mission-critical.

Looks like there are two APIs

yes, the first one is (as far as I understood) the API to connect to the Govee-Cloud and the second link you sent ist the one for LOCAL control without cloud. The OH-Govee-Binding (currently) supports only the local API (what I definitely anyhow prefer!). Alexa is using (certainly) the Govee-Cloud.
Homebridge can support both (in fact, they support 3 ways of controlling a device: Cloud, Local and via Bluetooth).
Maybe I should try a tricky thing with home-bridge…