Is the SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus the best choice for Zigbee2MQTT in Germany?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
    • OS: OpenHABian / Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), Kernel = Linux 5.15.61-v7l+
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 3.3.0

Dear all,

I apologize, if this has been asked before.

I would like to switch from deConz (with ConBee 2) to Zigbee2MQTT (for my RPi 4 running OpenHABian). To make the switch gradually (in my production system), I want to buy a second Zigbee controller.

I am considering the SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus controller. It should be well supported from what I have read on this forum …

So, is this the best choice for me (being situated in Germany) or should I consider buying another one? I would like to avoid unnecessary hassle down the line …

Thanks in advance!

Hi @michaelmell I recently purchased one of these to allow me to remove the need for the Phillips Hue and Ikea Tradfri bridges. So far though I’ve not been able to get it working with openHAB, I’m not sure why though but once you read deeper into the SONOFF documentation there are two versions, one that works and this one. I purchased the ZBDongle-P which seems to be the one most people are selling, where as I need to purchase the ZBDongle-E instead.

If you manage to find someone selling the ZBDongle-E, please put a link here. I for one would be happy to go and purchase one.

I’m using the P.
Install zigbee2mqtt and you won’t have any issues.

If zigbee2mqtt recommends it then you should be fine.

I shall have to revisit this. Although I get this setup with a basic configuration I couldn’t quite understand how you paired devices. Any pointers would be most welcome.

Just to confirm: this thread is about zigbee2mqtt (and the MQTT Binding), not using the ZigBee binding in openHAB. I only mention because of

Head to the supported devices page, find your device then follow the pairing instructions.

Thank you for pointing me to Supported Adapters | Zigbee2MQTT. I had come across that link already, but somehow forgot about it.

I bought two of the P-dongle now. We will see how it goes … :slight_smile:

To avoid confusion for anyone coming across this in the future. This thread is about Zigbee2MQTT. As of writing (11. Oct, 2022), the supported controllers page of the Zigbee2MQTT project, lists the P-dongle under recommended:

• look for SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus ZBDongle-P under recommend section here

whereas the E-dongle is listed under experimental:

• look for ITead Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus model ZBDongle-E under experimental section here

I write this to avoid confusion, because @Maximo post suggests it is the other way round (though I appreciate your wanting to help(!) :slight_smile: ).

Hello there,

I’ve just recently begun having issues with my GoControl HUSBZB-1 stick, so after coming across this thread found out about the Sonoff dongles.

Amazon seems to carry the ZBDongle-E model

Amazon Canada:

Amazon US:

Just ordered one right now and should be here tomorrow. Will be moving everything over to zigbee2mqtt at that point as well.

As mentioned and linked in this thread, the E model is classed as having experimental support in zigbee2mqtt, and is not recommended for production setups.

Thanks for letting me know, I cancelled the order and ordered a -P instead

P works fine. I have one.
The E also works, despite what is written in the docs. A colleague of fine just bought one.

But the configuration is a tad different, so there’s that. Iirc the serial adapter is different, see below.

Now, it remains to be seen whether or not it is stable. I would definitely vote for the P.

Why you prefer the sonoff hardware compared to conbee? Thank you

I’ve never even seen the conbee anywhere. Besides, conbee is Zwave, and I don’t have any Zwave devices so I had no inclination to get one.

It is ZigBee.

https://phoscon.de/en/conbee

1 Like

Primarily, because I want to switch to Zigbee2MQTT gradually from Phoscon. I needed a second controller for that to use Phoscon and Zigbee2MQTT in parallel during the transition. These are cheaper than Conbee.

I also remember reading/seeing on Youtube that Conbee that these work more robustly with Zigbee2MQTT than Conbee 2. But I just checked the Zigbee2MQTT homepage and Conbee 2 is also recommended:

Oh, I see there is a warning

Warning: Conbee 2 firmware versions newer than 0x26580700 will result in an unstable network with devices dropping randomly, see Issue 9554