Issue with growing logs in openhabian

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry4
    • Java Runtime Environment: openhabian
    • openHAB version: latest 4.1.1.
  • Issue of the topic: suddenly I have an endless growing syslog and daemon log that kills my openhab instance
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    I am not aware of any changes done in the past but suddenly I have an endless growing syslog and daemon log that kills my openhab instance. currently they are both at 7.1 GB size.
    I haven’t changed anything in the openhabian setup, instead for updating to the newest release lately which might be a coincidence? I’m not very familiar in logrotation and what I found is below.

I wouldn’t want to play with my openhabian configuration as it works for me since years without adaptation.

I only adapted the xml4j to use a remote syslog appender to write to my remote Graylog instance.

cat /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog
/var/log/syslog
/var/log/mail.info
/var/log/mail.warn
/var/log/mail.err
/var/log/mail.log
/var/log/daemon.log
/var/log/kern.log
/var/log/auth.log
/var/log/user.log
/var/log/lpr.log
/var/log/cron.log
/var/log/debug
/var/log/messages
{
rotate 4
weekly
missingok
notifempty
compress
delaycompress
sharedscripts
postrotate
/usr/lib/rsyslog/rsyslog-rotate
endscript
}

Thank you for any help on how to investigate further without mixing up my openhabian instance.

Well you should inspect syslog messages to get a hint what’s going on but it’s usually no openHAB or openHABian issue if syslogs suddenly start exploding.
Taming them isn’t either. Log rotation is daily but if you have too much a day to fit there’s something severely wrong.

Quickest and best solution I suggest is to reinstall to another SD.

What is logging to syslog so much? Since you are sending syslog to Graylog surely you’ve checked?

Do you see evidence of log rotation happening at all? There a cron job in /etc/cron.daily that does the rotation.

you need to figure out what is filling up your logs and fix that so it’s no longer filling up your syslog.