Issues with z-wave

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: server with 64gb ram, only 10gb used in total
    • Java Runtime Environment: docker image
    • openHAB version: openHAB 4.1.1
  • Issue of the topic:

I’ve had these devices all working fine for some time – at least months but I’ve always had some that sometimes lag up to minutes before responding.

This time however, its not a lag but the devices has become offline for a few weeks now and never recovered. I’ve replaced the batteries and still. I’ve hit the “heal device” as well with no results.

I have noticed that a few other batter operated devices (mostly door/window sensors) have batteries that need replacing and the network map seems unusual but I know its almost always unusual and from what I’ve read here over the years is to ignore it but would this be why my device isn’t working?

The device in question is node 29 in the network map below:

Can you put this device with a new battery into pairing mode and scan the zwave network? I have some battery operated devices that fall off the network when the batteries go low. This is very frustrating, but it happens. If you see the device during the scan, then that’s what happened. Since a currently paired device cannot join the network, this would mean that the device thinks it isn’t in the network.

If that fixes your problem, just add your links to the new thing and use it. If it happens again, think about replacing the device with something else. I have tossed 4 or 5 zwave battery devices that would consistently fail this way. I have another device that failed this way once, but has been fine for later battery replacements. I think there is a zwave firmware bug that pops up under some conditions to cause this.

This is only a guess - could be that you have a completely different problem.

Thanks. FWIW the device is a Z-Wave Thermostat (GC-TBZ48) and I’ve had it for about 5(?) years without problems before this. When I go to setup I only have an option to remove from zwave and I may try that. The funny thing is when I power cycle it, it shows up as Online in openhab and when I try to send it commands, it immediately goes back to:

COMMUNICATION_ERROR
Node is not communicating with controller 

I’ll remove and add again over the weekend. Its a bummer b/c I relied on this device more than any other.

Picture shows Node 29, but label refers to Node 27. Also with the yellow “halo” 29 is a powered device, not battery (but may contain batteries for backup). If a device is included as powered and then the power source is compromised the batteries will drain very quickly.

A ZW debug log while sending a command to the online device might help figure out what is going on.

Edit: from the manual;

DO NOT install baƩ eries if the thermostat is powered by 24VAC. They are not required for backup.
If the thermostat is powered by baƩ eries, the thermostat will operate for approximately (2) two
years on four (4) AA Alkaline baƩ eries depending on the frequency of user operaƟ ons and backlight
operaƟ on. Always use Alkaline baƩ eries and replace in complete sets of four (4) at a Ɵ me.
Z-Wave OperaƟ on when BaƩ ery Powered
IMPORTANT: If the thermostat is installed on a Z-Wave network, while it is baƩ ery powered, it will
NOT work as a Z-Wave repeater.
CAUTION: Do not install baƩ eries and temporarily power the thermostat from 24VAC to include onto
a Z-Wave network. Shortened baƩ ery life may occur when 24VAC power is removed

Yeah, I didn’t realize I messed up, but 29/27 are the same device and should have been labeled 29 consistently.

It’s odd that the device registered as powered since I’ve never had it powered by anything other than batteries. I do plan on eventually running a new cable up to the attic to add the missing wires to allow me to power the thermostat as I hate dealing with batteries.

For what its worth, I started disassociating the device and I get an failure while disassociating but surprisingly it made it fix itself (for now).

I’ll enable debugging and see if I can figure out if/why it thinks its a wired device.