ITEAD Sonoff switches and sockets - cheap ESP8266 Wifi+MQTT hardware

Hi. Would you have a link to the tutorial so I know I have the right one.
Thanks

Official openhab docs:

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html

Yes that was the one I used but think i screwed tbe java/zulu installarion up

http://docs.openhab.org/installation/openhabian.html

Having just acquired four Sonoff Basics to control my Christmas lights I think it would be worthwhile adding the SonOTA link to the original article. I went to all the links in the original article and quickly got lost. I knew there was theoretically a way to flash the firmware without a programmer but I couldn’t find anything that claimed to be compatible with the Basic.

The wiki page for SonOTA on the Tasmota wiki is incomplete and unuseful. When I click on the “install with unmodified binaries” it says that is not supported for Basic. But then when I follow the “see the SonOTA for more information” link I finally get to instructions that work and shows support for Basic.

Unfortunately, I stopped short when I saw on the one link that Basic wasn’t supported and bought a programmer and pins. Then I scanned through the rest of this lengthy thread and saw somewhere in the middle someone who said they got the OTA to work with Basic so I went back to work. Eventually, I stumbled upon mirko’s repo with full instructions and the script to make the OTA update. It wasn’t through the Tasmota wiki though.

As you know, I’m no novice when it comes to this stuff so either I’ve been particularly dense or this is likely tripping up other users as well.

My suggestion would be an addition to the “Firmware Flashing and Usage” section with the following:

I’m unfamiliar with the Tasmota wiki so don’t know the best way to address this on the wiki itself. But this one additional line to the OP would have saved me an evening’s lost work and $20. It also might make Sonoff less intimidating for the less DIY electronics users.

Once I found the right instructions I had my first switch flashed in 15 minutes and half of that was installing Python 3.5 on my laptop. It takes me twice as long to wire the device up then it does to get it configured with OH (I’m putting them on those short extension cords so I can resuse them after Christmas).

Fantastic experience! Thanks for the excellent work on this.

1 Like

I have used many of these (I sell them so why not use them), and have always flashed them with Tasmota, basically because I thought i had to.

There are threads (maybe buried in this thread, I don’t remember) of people demonstrating how to interact with them through ITEAD’s eWeLink service. But I think many if not most of the OH users would prefer, where possible, to avoid dependencies on cloud services to control things in their home. And for that you need a custom firmware.

And IMHO Tasmota is lightyears ahead of the native Sonoff firmware that it is objectively a better choice even if you don’t mind depending on a cloud service.

1 Like

Can you implement “esp8266 to knx” into the tasmota firmware so that i can directly speak wireless to knx and don´t need mqtt to do this?

https://knx-user-forum.de/forum/öffentlicher-bereich/knx-eib-forum/1158719-esp8266-über-wlan-an-knx

I agree 100%

Thanks can you help me with how do i create scenes with tasmota sonoff i have been struggling to do the same

The scene i need to create is for when watching tv i have Led downlight with color rings i need to the switch it on and off and then on so that on the colored rings are on
I have Led strips both need to be turned on

Anyother lights that may be needs to turn off

Is it possible to do this i have seen some tutorials but the commands dont seem to to work with tasmota

You need to use openhab rules for this. This is in not specific to Sonoff.

1 Like

I ordered a few Sonoff devices from Ebay - 6 for £30.

However, when they came through, they were branded PowStro, have a completely different PCB, and don’t even work with the eWeLink app.

I picked this listing because it specifically said Sonoff in the title, and showed photos with Sonoff on the products.

So - beware where you get them from - I’ve now got to battle to get these sent back for a refund.

Can you post some photos?

As you can see, a very different circuit board to the Sonoff, and no GPIO pins visible, and they also require a different application - SmartLife - and do not work with eWeLink, so not upgradable with the same processes as a genuine Sonoff device.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hey Garry,
to add some words to my previous comment: That’s bad luck! I can tell you from experience, that the itead webshop is actually quite good and offers real modules for a fair price. I ordered all modules from there (in times where you couldn’t buy them all over ebay).

We were discussing safety approvals for these devices earlier in the thread which Sonoff now appears to have for most, if not all of their devices (manufacturing control issues aside), but these PowStro devices don’t appear to have any approvals and have a different board layout to the Sonoff so I would exercise extra caution with their use.

1 Like

I am sending them back (well, trying to) - they are obviously cheaper knock-offs, and safety issues aside, they are not compatible with the excellent work so many have already done with the Sonoff devices.

I will be buying from Amazon (if I need them quickly) or from Itead directly (if I need them cheaper) - and avoiding the ambiguities of the dodgy eBay resellers.

I had good luck with Amazon FWIW.

1 Like

i seem to have a problem with the INFO1 line and STATUS line of my sonoffs and MQTT. I am trying to get the info from any of my 6 sonoffs but it fails.

Item:

String	Sonoff1LocalVersion "Sonoff #2 running fw version [%s]" 
		{ mqtt="<[mosquitto:tele/sonoff2/INFO1:state:JSONPATH($.Version)], 
				<[mosquitto:stat/sonoff2/STATUS2:state:JSONPATH($.StatusFWR.Program)]" }

Sitemap:

Text item=Sonoff1LocalVersion label="Sonoff #2 running fw version [%s]"

I am on the latest Tasmota 5.10.0 and in this case it is a POW. I only seem to get back ENGERGY and STATE but i cannot trigger on request INFO or STATUS.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction what i am missing here? Thanks